Sunday, January 4, 2015

Back to the Story


The HOME, that's what we called the orphanage. I almost hate the name because it sure wasn't a home. I am going to leave out some details to protect the privacy of some members of my family. How it was decided that we would go into the orphanage is still a mystery. I know that my mother's parents, my grandparents wanted us four kids. They actually knew the truth. Less than a month before the fire ripped through our home my mother fled to her parents in another state. Apparently she found out the truth about my dad, the double life, the lies, the hurt children. All of it. She wanted a divorce. Back in the 60's you couldn't get a divorce as easily as you can now. She took us and went to her parents and got a lawyer. She was told she would have to go back to him for 6 weeks and place residency and then file for divorce. She went back to him with four children in tow and waited out the six weeks. It was during that six weeks that the house burnt down. Are you thinking what I am thinking?

My dad knew our grandparents knew the truth and he wanted nothing to do with them. He denied access to us so into the orphanage we went. I will never forget the day we went. What my poor grandmother on my dad's side thought I have no clue. Apparently she came to see us on occasion. As a grandparent I can't even imagine. I would have wanted to shake my son and say what are you thinking son.

While the papers were being signed we were sent outside. The building was quite massive, a brick two story sitting back on the property. In front there was a huge flag pole and a cement walkway. Off to the side on the left was a wide open area with a very large swing set and a merry go round. Past that was a small pond. It was there that I met a couple that said they wanted to adopt me. But that's a story for another day. I remember swinging on that huge metal swing that day and thinking what in the world am I doing here. We should have been with family. The family secret was in full force. People afraid to speak up.

My baby sister was too young to go into this particular orphanage. She had to be potty trained before she came in. Right at two years of age she was brought. I will never forget the first night she came. My little sister is little. I mean a short little thing. With white hair, blue eyes and a sweetness that could melt any one with a heart.

All the girls were up on the second floor in a huge room with beds lined up on each side of the wall. When evening came on the first night my baby sister, barely two, was told to go to bed. She was shown the bed that would be hers and told, get in and go to sleep. She obeyed, she got in bed and started to cry. I was indignant. I started down the middle towards her bed and I was yelled at to get back upfront. I was told she would have to learn how to go to bed on her own so she might as well start now. I always was a troublemaker! I went to her and scooped her up in my arms and rocked her to sleep.

Does that make your blood boil like it does mine? This sweet little girl lost her Mama to a fire, she is put into an orphanage barely two years old and told to go to sleep on her own. You want to know how to screw up a child? Here is the perfect recipe. Children need love and they desperately needed attachment. When they don't have that there world is turned upside down.

My husband and I did foster care for 20 years. In those 20 years we served over 30 children. I knew I could never make up for what my baby sister endured but I knew that I could make a difference to just one child. Make a difference in the life of just one person. That is my story and that is my theme. I can't save the world and neither can you. There is only one who can save the world and it is Jesus, God's son. But we can be the hands and feet of Jesus every step of the way. I challenge you like I challenge myself. Make this world a better place but helping just one person.

More on the orphanage tomorrow

In Christ Alone,



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing you "story". It's important that we do that for so many reasons. <3

    ReplyDelete