Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Gratituesday





People are more important than any fancy house, big bank account or snappy car can ever be. I am working really hard to not be a pit dweller right now. If it were not for my real friends and family that support me I would be sitting in a padded room drooling.

Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point. It is the people in our lives who nourish us and encourage us to be better than we are. Rich and I had the privilege to travel for the first 22 years of our marriage all over the country and overseas. In almost every place I was blessed with a kindred spirit. Those special people who can be away for years and yet pick up right where we left off.

My birthday rolled around this past week. I have hated my birthday since the day I turned 16. Guess how I celebrated my 16th? A swim teacher made me a cake and sang me happy birthday. That was it. How pathetic is having a birthday cake made by someone other than your family. The message I got, you are not worth a drop and therefore celebrating your birthday is not important.

I remember when I met my future in-laws, they wanted to know when my birthday was. I wouldn't tell them. The thought of going through that all over again was just too stinking painful.  Now I love celebrating other peoples birthdays. I try and make my children and grandchildren feel special along of course with my husband. I don't do it perfectly but they know they are loved and cherished. I don't like missing any of my family's birthdays.

So what does a potential pit dweller do about her birthday? She goes to her precious grandchildren who love me know matter what I do in life. They hug me and kiss me and tell me happy birthday. They even sing to me and help me blow out all those candles.

So what is important? What can I be thankful for today? For the people in my life who love me and encourage me to be better than I am. When I would rather curl in a ball they encourage me to come out and play!

What are you thankful for today? I would love to know.

Blessings
Jill




Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. "Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow." - Melody Beattie
    I'm grateful for every minute of my past because it reminds me that He reclaimed it, redeem it, and is now re-purposing it for HIS glory! He is doing that for you too and I am blessed and privileged to be a witness to your re-purposing. YOU and "IT" is a beautiful thing to behold. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that phrase Robin, re-purposing my life. Thank you for all you do and are.

    ReplyDelete