Thursday, June 19, 2014

Be A Cowgirl (A Guest Post)




Be a cowgirl
There was a period in my life that I was a cowgirl. Well, a wanna-be cowgirl anyway. Pictures from that long ago era embarrassingly reveal my living room decorated with a fully decked out saddle horse and gun holster with me in all my glory wearing a long denim skirt and cowboy boots. No kidding. Truly a sight to behold. My “Little House on the Prairie” days were inspired by visiting a working ranch in Colorado and watching real cowboys ride and lasso calves. The calves would be running full speed until that rope captured them and brought them down under the control of the wrangler.

My blonde little brain can run faster than any calf hands down. Did you know that research states that people have 12,000 - 50,000 thoughts every day? The overachiever that I am, I imagine I'm on the higher end of that scale and it's exhausting some times. I have a tendency to get caught up and carried away by them, keeping me quite entertained for hours. Depending on what I'm thinking about they can either make me happy, anxious, angry or content.

Have you heard the Proverb, “Be careful what you think because your thoughts run your life.”?
Sarah Young, in Jesus Calling writes, “Keep your focus on me. I have gifted you with amazing freedom, including the ability to choose the focal point of your mind. Let the goal of this day be to bring every thought captive to me. Whenever your mind wanders, lasso those thoughts and bring them into my Presence. In My radiant light, anxious thoughts shrink and shrivel away. Judgmental thoughts are unmasked as you bask in my unconditional Love. Confused ideas are untangled while you rest in the simplicity of my Peace.”

Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God ’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all. Run to God ! Run from evil! (Proverbs 3:5-7 MSG)
Today, I will practice lassoing my thoughts, capturing them and refocus on listening to his voice of Peace.
“Capture every thought, make it give up and obey Christ.” 2 Cor 10:5
The above devotional was written by my sister Robin. I wanted to share her wisdom on lassoing our thoughts. Hope you enjoy.
Blessings
Jill


Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. Loved it! Inspiring writing must run in your family! Thank you, Robin!

    ReplyDelete