Tuesday, April 8, 2014


Count your blessings name them one by one! I recently spent two weeks down in Kentucky visiting our son and daughter in law waiting for their fifth baby to arrive. My daughter in law typically goes right around her due date. They wanted as much help after the birth as possible so they wanted me to get really close to the "due date" as possible.

Plans don't always work out like we think. On the day I was supposed to go I was sick as a dog. Laying in bed I could hear my lungs rattling so I drug my sorry body to the emergency room at 4a.m. to be told I indeed had bacterial pneumonia. I spent the next three days curled in a ball taking all my medicine like a good little girl. The doctor had assured me I could still deliver the baby safely if I wore a mask and waited a couple of days.

So I drove down to Kentucky feeling like I had run a marathon. I got to the community Saturday evening. I checked on my daughter in law and discovered her baby was straight posterior with a hand up to her chin. Now she is very tiny herself. At the time I guessed the baby to be over seven pounds but less than eight. Heart rate of baby sounded great so I went to bed hoping baby would make her appearance soon.

Son woke me up early Sunday morning and said it was time to have the baby. Mama had been laboring most of the night. I jumped off the couch and said thank you LORD. That was quick. Unfortunately as the sun came up it was obvious baby was not coming. We spent the next 10 days doing essentially the same thing over and over again. I took her to a chiropractor to try and get baby moved out of the posterior position with no luck.

I texted my boss while in town for the chiropractor appointment and she wisely told me to keep my hands off of Mama and wait patiently for the best outcome. I listened to the baby's heart rate every night before bed and was assured all was well.

This continued for ten days. Poor Mama had such hard contractions day and night with no signs of active labor. I prayed and played with the other four grand babies. We read and we read and we read some more. I tickled and snuggled each of them. I cooked and took naps when my grand children went down for naps.

Finally the day arrived. I was making dinner and Mama dropped to her knees in the kitchen. Her back was just killing her. She was much more comfortable on all fours than standing up. Son and I had dinner with the children while Mama was in the bedroom. Something seemed different this time so it was decided son would take the children to a neighbors right after dinner. I washed the dishes while he tended to the children. I listened to the babies heart beat and was assured all was well.

I got the room set up for the birth and quietly waited. Son came back and asked if there was time to take a shower and Mama said just hurry. As he stepped out of the shower I could hear her say get Jill. Less than twenty minutes later I caught my beautiful grandson. He stayed posterior and never rotated. He came out with a full head of brown hair. Mama and baby did beautifully.

This was my very first time to catch a grand baby. I feel so blessed. It was also my 100th birth. I am thankful for the wise words of my mentor Wendy. I sat on my hands till it was time and the birth was perfect. I am thankful for a son and daughter in-law who trusted me to be with them. Finally I am thankful that God saw fit to bless our family with another grand baby. Thank you LORD.


Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".


  1. What a wonderful way to celebrate 100 births! And congratulations on the sweet blessing to add to your family.

  2. Beautiful! So exciting that you could be a part of this with your kids. :)

  3. Yay!! How exciting! And what a big, beautiful baby. That Mama is amazing. You are all so blessed!