Thursday, February 20, 2014

Radical or Bodacious Christianity?



It's time to start writing about the practical lessons from my time in Haiti. Following Jesus wherever he wants to take us can seem at times radical. in fact, there are quite a few books about "radical" Christianity. The word seems to be overused in my opinion. Since I have a tendency to not follow the crowd I wanted to find a new word for radical. According to my hand thesaurus some words for radical are, profound, primitive,essential, organic and my favorite, meat and potatoes. None really grabbed me. I have always been a fan of the word bodacious so I looked it up. Some of the definitions for bodacious were, sassy, bold, cocky, spunky and plucky. None of those words really describes Jesus so back to the drawing board.

For now I will just use the word radical, at least until I find a better word. The word Christian has become for me a meaningless word. My intention is not to offend but millions of people call themselves Christians and I think it too is overused. People ask me at times what kind of Christian I am. I have come up with the word plain, just a plain old Christian. A Jesus follower who is just plain and simple. So what is so radical about that you might ask? 

It's hard in the 21st century to be plain and simple in anything! Our culture screams at us 24/7. Even McDonald's has multiple T.V.'s blaring at us. I went to a new gas station the other day and there was a T.V. at every single pump. We are bombarded everywhere we go. So just what messages are we being given?  We are not anybody unless we have _____ just fill in the blank. It could be a Disney vacation, a toothpaste, a credit card or my all time favorite, a purple little pill to cure ED. 

My life will not be meaningful unless I have more "stuff". I am here to tell you that more "stuff" only makes us more fat and hungry for more. We need the latest and the greatest and I don't care if it's a new kitchen tool or a new garden hose that doesn't kink. We need more and more and more. Does anyone feel like we are on a crazy merri-go-round? That merri-go-round gets faster and faster and faster. 

I remember a very wise king who decided to try everything this world has to offer. He got it all. He got the fast cars, the women, the gold and the worship and drugs to heighten the whole experience and he said it was ALL meaningless. Every drop meaningless. 

So want to know what I learned in Haiti? I learned once again that "stuff" does not satisfy. I want to spend the next couple of days looking at "stuff" and what it all means to us. 
Come join me as we take a look at radical and bodacious Christianity.
In Christ Alone,
Jill


Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. What seems radical now may be closer to what may have once been considered "average" or "normal". Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete