Thursday, December 26, 2013

Closing Out 2013




What a beautiful winter wonderland it has been this year. I love how the white snow gently clings to each and every branch. I love looking out and seeing virgin fields. It reminds me that each day is brand new with no mistakes in it. I chose every day the steps my feet will take me into that glistening field. Each year I am so ready to start over on January 1st. A dear kindred spirit of mine says that she wants a do over from this year since it has had one challenge after another. I totally understand that feeling. However, the year is filled with lots and lots of lessons, whether the end of the year brings a smile to your face or you wipe your worried brow thankful to just scraped by.

My own life this year has been filled with lots of firsts. The baby of our family graduated from high school and started college. The empty nest officially started which is pretty funny since the nest had almost no time being empty! We had our 12th grand baby born this year. This was my first full year in midwifery. I was blessed to serve in Haiti and deliver 57 babies. I started back to college after over 36 years so that I will be a well educated in midwifery.  Lots of new things this year to shape and mold me.

So it is fitting to look back and see what I learned. Taking bucket showers in Haiti was a great learning experience. Did you know that you can shower with under two gallons of water? Who would have ever thought! I was reminded again why "stuff" is not important now or ever. I learned that there is JOY, indescribable joy in serving others.

I also had some time this year to really look inside myself and do an inventory. I am not a huge fan of what I affectionately call navel gazing but when you are in a foreign country, without electricity, television or radio, you have some extra time to evaluate. What I saw was not always pleasant. At times I have felt sorry for myself in the situation we find ourselves in. I continue to grieve what we have lost. It's been almost five years since my hubby got sick. It is hard to count it all joy when you are faced with various trials.

I have decided in this coming year I am going to find creative ways to express the joy I have. I'm going to get back to my quilting. I find that I am happy when I create. I read a book once by a gal with 13 children. She said that she sewed just 15 minutes a day. That is all the time she had to devote to it so 15 minutes is all she could do. I was astounded at the list she wrote out of everything she made that year just sewing 15 minutes a day. So, I have gotten the current quilt that has been sitting for close to a year and sew just a bit every day.

I also discovered that you can read the books of Psalms and Proverbs in their totality in only one month. All you have to do is read five chapters in the book of Psalms each day and by the end of the month you will have finished the entire book. You can also read just one chapter a day in the book of Proverbs and be done in one month. Combine the two and you have just read them both in one month's time. I started while I was in Haiti and feel so good about it.

The next thing I am going to better at this year is working out at the YMCA. I love working out but the time is difficult to squeeze in each day. I want to swim laps twice a week and do weight training and the treadmill at least one other day a week. I feel so much better when I work out and going just once a week is not giving me optimal traction in my health.

School is the last area I really need to improve on. I am taking a long distance course since there is no midwifery school locally. It is hard to stay focused so that area needs more discipline from me. On the days that I don't go to the gym and swim I want to study for at least an hour a day. That will be tough since I am in the office seeing patients three days a week at least but I want to be finished by the end of 2014.

What does this coming year hold for me and my family? I have no clue but I do know that if I don't have a target to work towards I won't accomplish what I need to get done. I won't even get close. I am not a fan of New Years's resolutions because we tend to break them pretty quickly but all the things I am shooting for are already in my daily routine. I just need to be more consistent.

What do you hope to accomplish in the new year? I would love to know what you have learned about yourself this year and what you hope to get done in the next year. Let me know.

Till then.
In Christ Alone,
Jill


Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. What a year you have had! This year my goal was to read through the Bible with my sons. We're not quite done, but almost! I am so pleased that we actually stuck with it. I have lots of plans for the coming year, but we shall see what happens... Thanks for sharing all your adventures this year with all of us!

    ReplyDelete