Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Gratituesday


The time is flying by and I am running as fast as I can muster to keep up. I knew September was going to be a brutal month with 11 babies due. I did make it to services this past Sunday but by the end looked like a crazy lady, my veil was falling off which uncovered my hair which had not been brushed in over 24 hours. I had been awake for a very long time and I looked and felt like "the crazy lady". After a meltdown in the passenger seat of a friends car I finally went to bed. So in a couple of hours the craziness starts again till the weekend. Now to my favorite thing of the week, GRATITUESDAY!

My trip to Cap Haitian in Haiti is just around the corner. All of my shots have been given, I am actually starting to pack and my knees are starting to quake. People will ask me, are you going with a group, the answer is no, then who are you going with Jill? It is me and God people and I wouldn't have been nervous if people would stop asking me if I am crazy for going alone! So now I am nervous but I know that perfect love casts out fear and God is the best one to go with me.

Mama Baby was started by 2 midwives after the earthquake in Haiti a few years back. So it has only been in existence for a few years but what a difference it has already made. When I researched the birthing center they were delivering a little over 50 births a month. Now just a few short months and they have delivered 1000 babies in the last three months, so more than 50 births a week. Women will walk over 20 miles during labor to get to the clinic. Can you imagine? We whine if we have to get in a car for a 20 minute ride to the hospital and they are walking.

Why would a woman walk that many miles to deliver a baby? The answer is simple, the staff at Mama Baby care and care deeply about each woman that comes their way.  The birth center is free for each Mama. They are a non-profit and from a midwives perspective that is alot of supplies. You need sterilized instruments to cut the cord, you need a cord ring for the cord, you need towels and under pads and suctioning bulbs and you need I.V. kits for those who need fluids, and you need suturing kits to sew up those who tear. All of that cost money.

Speaking of money, and this is where the gratituesday part comes in. They are funded by their volunteers. I paid $750 a week just to be there. It covers my bed upstairs above the clinic, food and then the rest goes to supplies. I could not be going without the support of all of you. For those of you who have given so that I can go, thank you hardly seems enough. I could not be going if it were not for the support for you.

There is no shipping to Haiti so I am the best shot for supplies getting over there for the time I am there. I need more medicine. I have one suitcase already filled to the brim with cloth under pads and some diapers. Now I need more medicine. Would you consider an Amazon gift card so I can purchase more medicine? Or a Wal-mart give card? I can buy lots of medicine at Wal-Mart for good prices. I have the money needed to pay for the extra bags but I want them full to the gills!

By the way, in the newest newsletter another midwife and me were called out specifically for paying for the shipment (which cost $1000) of an entire pallet of prenatal vitamins. They have arrived and are making a difference. If you want to help leave me a message or email me at jill@avitd.com .

Today I am thankful for all the help you have given me. The time is close, please help if you can.

In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment