Monday, September 9, 2013

A to Z Gratituesday



I have met my first goal in midwifery. Before I went to my very first birth as a student midwife I decided to keep track of each and every birth. IN order to keep them all straight I chose to give each baby a letter in the alphabet. That would keep the privacy of each family and would allow me to keep them all straight for counting.

It's interesting. When we sit for an initial interview with prospective Mama's invariably one of the questions they ask is just how long you have been catching babies and how many have you caught. 

I have now finished babies A-Z! The alphabet is complete. So now is a good time to sit back and count my blessings and reflect on what I have learned. Here is my list in no particular order.

1. I have been blessed with a wonderful team of midwives. We laugh, we cry and we work our tails off. They accept me for who I am, plain clothing and head covering and all. They cheer me on when I succeed. 

2. I have been blessed to work with 26 different amazingly strong women in the past 11 months. I have watched women dig deep down inside themselves to muster the courage to birth a baby the old fashioned way. 

3. I have learned that I do have what it takes to be a midwife. Now, that doesn't mean I know everything, in fact the more I learn the more I know I don't know a thing. 

4.  I have witnessed the miracle of 26 precious babies coming into the world. They are all different, their births are all different but they all are sweet and precious and a gift from God.

5. I have learned that I am old but that doesn't mean I can't keep up with all these young pups. I am starting my second career at a time when most women are getting ready to retire. Not me, I am just starting.

6. I have learned that I can live on little sleep but only for so long. Eventually I hit a wall and melt. 48 hours is my limit. 

7. I have learned that families process their births in different ways. Some women find it deeply spiritual and some women find a primal response suits them. All are natural and all ways work.

8. I learned that you can drive really, really fast in the middle of the night on the freeway thinking no one will know until hubby realizes the GPS registers the fastest you have ever gone and be surprised. Sometimes you just have to get to a birth really fast I say! Hubby is not impressed. I have decided flying to the highway is awesome and if this career doesn't work I might be tempted to be a race car driver!

9. Helping Mama's walk through nine months of pregnancy, the birth and postpartum is an honor that is not to be taken lightly. You hold space for these Mama's, a sacred trust.

10. I have found that it is helpful to always carry your birth kit with you that includes a catchers mitt and mask. It's safer that way!

Thank you God for allowing me to embrace the past 11 months. For all the answered prayers during labor and birth that gives me grace I thank you. WHat are you thankful for today?




Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".






2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a full alphabet! What's next, do you start the alphabet over- A2, B2, etc.?

    Wait till you're on the track to be a racecar driver- listen to that hubby of yours! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud to be the mother of Baby Q! Every woman should be lucky enough to have you by her side as she labors.

    ReplyDelete