Wednesday, August 7, 2013

It's a Battle Out There!



This journey we call life can sometimes be described as a battle. If you notice in the above picture there is one standing and that represents you and me. We will continue to stand because we realize where the battle really comes from. Listen to the wise words of Paul in Ephesians 6:12

"Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do NOT wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.  Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day and having done all, to stand firm."

Did you get that? We are in a battle and that battle is NOT against you and I but against the devil. I don't care if your battle is food addictions, drug addictions, depression or any other battle you and I face. We can be victors and not victims. There is a golden nugget in that last sentence. Let me give you an example from my life.

I will call this gal Susie (not her real name). In Susie's mind she was a victim. Apparently she married the wrong guy. Of course the guy she did marry was a faithful godly man but like other men (and women) he had his faults. She had convinced herself that her life would have been so much better if she had just married that "other guy". Now this woman had been married for 40 years! Forty years and she was still a victim? Come on, let's get real.

When my husband was a marriage and family therapist he had a saying he told me about. After listening to a couple pour out their challenges he would at some point say, "you are where you are". You are where you are is a simple statement. It recognizes that you have a past and it is time to say this is now where I am.

To Susie she had been married for 40 years. It was time to say, "I am where I am". I told her that she could live a life as a victor and NOT a victim. I wanted her to recognize that wallowing in 40 years of regret will not help her current situation. The devil had had a field day with her. Nudging her with discontent over and over again. In stead of dismissing Satan out of hand she allowed him to feed on her resentment, over and over again.

That my friends is a life lived in bondage. I have had a lot of loss in my life, alot. More than my share at times but I refuse to be a victim. I may wallow in despair a day or two but when I recognize I am allowing Satan to feed me a pack of lies I shut it down.

Tomorrow I want to share with you Satan's plan for your children and what YOU can do about it.
Till next time.



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. Yes Jill- we must know our true enemy and not fight amongst ourselves.

    I love that saying, too. You are where you are. Acceptance necessary for growth.

    Looking forward to the next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Sister!!! You go girl!! :)

    You are a wise woman of grace and valor.

    Please tell your hubby that his quote of "you are where you are" is brilliant.

    You both know how to challenge people to address their world and have some personal accountability.

    Super job and Thank-you!!

    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete