Wednesday, August 28, 2013

An Unlikely Love Story



Tomorrow we celebrate 36 years of marriage and it has me waxing nostalgic. Ours is not the movie type of love story. Nope, no  gentle kiss on the dock, over looking a lake with fireworks exploding overhead. No Love Comes Softly type of romantic beginning. In fact, our beginning started out with a loud thud, an Airmans hat being tossed across the table with lots of loud mumbling. So let me set the stage.

I had just finished my freshman year of college. I had been hired as the waterfront director at the local Christian youth camp. The problem was the three weeks in between when the dorm closed and the camp opened. I had been worshipping with a small congregation out in Romeo Michigan for the school year with my then boyfriend. I loved the congregation and felt at home. Even after my boyfriend dumped me I continued to attend the Romeo congregation.

There was a family there who had three small children. They were exactly what I needed. They were natural hospitable people. They invited young couples over for dinner and would spend hours sitting on the living room floor singing hymns. I was in awe watching them, having never seen a married couple like that. They invited me to come and spend the three weeks in between college and camp with them and I gladly took them up on it. Little did I know that those three weeks would change the course of my life.

I had no idea that little family of five was really a family of six. Their eldest son had gone into the Air Force the year before and had been in training all this time in Texas which is why I had never met him. All of that would soon change. I had only been in their home for a day or two when excitement filled the air. Big brother was about to come home. I had no idea. Larry and Laura had somehow forgotten to tell me that they had a son whom I had never met.

I remember the kids bouncing off the wall, excited big brother was finally coming home. I waited up for this guy to walk in the door. After introductions I excused myself and promptly went to bed. I felt like an intruder into an intimate family affair.

The next day that tall and handsome Airmen dressed in his uniform headed out to see his old highschool teachers. I gave him little thought. In the early afternoon his Mom and I were standing in the kitchen over the sink peeling potatoes when he came back home. Apparently he had parked in the wrong place and had gotten his car towed. He was not a happy camper! He tossed his keys on the table along with his hat mumbling something about how life was unfair. I turned to his Mama and said very calmly, "He and I are NOT going to get along."  Less than 3 months later that young airman and I would marry.

Come join me tomorrow and I will tell you "the rest of the story".
Until then,
In Christ Alone



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how much I LOVE this! So glad you are sharing!

    ReplyDelete