Sunday, July 21, 2013

The First Step on the Journey.....







Today is Day One for me. Remember me, I am the foodaholic. I know my spell check doesn't recognize that word but it's my blog so I guess I can write it. In my previous posts on food addictions I was overwhelmed with the responses I got privately. I am not the only one who struggles with eating for the right reasons.

Comfort food is just that, comfort. When I am stressed or bored or sad or happy I eat. That is going to stop right now. You see, I am all done with the yo-yo dieting, losing five pounds to then gain six pounds back. My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. My temple is a little larger than it should be! So where do I go from here?

I have started a 60 day program that is geared towards people like me. It is called The Lord's Table, A Biblical Approach to Weight Management by Mike Cleveland. The authors approach is different from other programs I have tried. There is no counting of calories, no counting points. It is simply to start glorifying God in our bodies. How in the world do we do that.

My motivation before has been to look good, to fit in, to please my husband, to not look frumpy etc. etc. God's word tells us that whatever we do, whether it is eating or drinking or anything else we do, including what we feed our bodies need to be to the glory of God.  All of my reasons have been about me and not God. If I am going to be a woman of the Word then I need to trust that what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 10:31 is true.
Do ALL things to the glory of God!

So my memory verse for the week is "So, whatever you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31 Feel free to memorize it with me.  So how I understand it is this, I have not been successful before because my motivation has been all wrong. If I change my motivation I will be successful in glorifying God.

Remember when Moses went on the mountain to be with God? WHen he came back down the mountain he had a veil because of the people. Paul tells us that we as Christians can come with unveiled faces, beholding the glory of the Lord are being transformed into the same image as Christ. I want to be transformed, what about you?

So, do you want to follow me on this journey? Feel free to read the scriptures I share and follow the eating schedule. It is pretty simple.

Day 1 is Half Day--- that means you make up your plate to eat and then cut it in half. Only eat half. Now I don't know about you but this make me pause. Do I fill my plate as high as I can so when I do cut it in half it will be a really large half?  You mean that occurred to you too?  The simple answer is no, get a normal size helping and then cut it in half.

Day 2 Liquid Day is two meals using just liquid like V8 juice and then one meal normal. Can you do that? Sure you can. I doubt liquid would mean a strawberry frap from Starbucks!

Day 3 is a normal eating day.  Doesn't give you permission to munch non-stop from 6-11pm each night

Day 4 is Fasting. Yes fasting. On those days we will talk to God about our struggles and our desire to glorify God in ALL we do, including what we feed our bodies. It is 24 hours of fasting except coffee, tea or water

Day 5 is a normal eating day

Then we go back to day 1. Yes you can be flexible. The whole point is to start spending more time with the LORD and less time thinking about food.

I am going to ask a couple of questions each day. Here they are
1. Did you feast at the Lords Table today. In other words how did you enjoy God today? Did you sing, pray, study his word, worship, fellowship or witness to anyone? Remember, we are working on changing our motivation to glorifying the Lord and not ourselves.

2.  Have you been disciplines in your eating habits since the last lesson?

3. Have you exercised your body in some way since the last lesson? I am not talking about going to the gym everyday. I am talking about doing something with your body. How about walking for 15 minutes a day? Walk the dog, walk with a friend, walk and talk with the LORD, sing to the him while you walk.

Okay, there you have day 1. If you want to join I want you to just jump in right where you are. Pray that the LORD will guide your day today.

With fear and trembling, here we go.
In Christ Alone,



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment