Thursday, July 25, 2013

Physical Hunger vs. Soul Hunger




This food thing is all in my head, seriously! I would venture to guess that if you are struggling with food issues it is probably all up in your head too. I'm not talking about people with serious thyroid issues here. I am talking to me and anyone else out there who eats for the wrong reasons.

Physical hunger is when our stomach rumbles telling us that the body needs food.  I have discovered that I get hungrier the more I eat. That probably has to do with the fact I have stretched my stomach out so it takes more food to make me feel full. The great news is that can be reversed and no I am not talking about surgery.

The old adage anything that goes up must come down might apply here. When we start eating more reasonable servings our stomach can go back to it's normal size, which means it wont take as much to make us feel full. So the question I was faced with today is this. If my stomach is not growling why am I eating? Great question.

I have always believed that each of us were created with a figurative hole in our heart. That hole can only be filled by God. Oh we try to fill it with other things. You see celebrity's crash and burn because of trying to fill their hearts using drugs, alcohol, sexual appetites outside of marriage and yes even food. We become self destructive.

When this food issue of mine reared it's ugly head I know now what I was doing. My life was so out of control with a broken hip, a husband in horrible pain 24/7, a wayward son that refused to be a part of the family, the loss of my husbands and my ministry, then the loss of our home. Anyway, you get the picture. My life was one big ball of grief.  It was really then that I started to use food to "self medicate". I don't know what got you were you are today but if you struggle with this issue like I do, we are using food to fill up a heart that seems empty and lacks satisfaction. As Mike Cleveland said, " We are attempting to nourish our souls by feeding our bodies."

Did you catch that? We are feeding our bodies in an attempt to nourish our souls. For believers we know that is not truth. Our souls can only be nourished by God. Let's read John 6:53-58

" Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. for my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not as the fathers ate and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever."


Let' spend some time thinking about this verse and I will see you tomorrow.

Question 1 Did you feast at the LORD's table today?  Yes I have, I also plan on listening on tape some more today.

Question 2 Have you been disciplined in your eating habits since the last lesson? Yes but it was very hard. I wanted to eat chocolate before bed

Question 3 Did you exert your body in some way? Yes, I did the Ease into 5K this morning and the temperature (49) degrees surprised me.

Have a great day my friend




Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. Jill, I haven't opened my laptop in 2 weeks! We are busy packing up our house to move, but we are also living a normal (busy) life in the midst of a move. I have started eating smaller portions and riding my bike 1 mile each day. Your 'diet' sounds interesting, but right now I am trying to use what's in the freezer and pantry so I don't have as much to move. I will plan to follow any scriptures you are reading and recommending for memorization. I will be praying for you. Maybe when we are settled into our new house, I can follow the plan too. Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete