Monday, July 1, 2013

Do You See What I See?








One of my kindred spirits put up a really cool video on face book this morning. Over and over again there was video of someone who will be facing a life and death situation as people pass them by. You never know when you walk into an elevator at a hospital and stand next to someone who was just told they have cancer, or they just signed a do not resuscitate for a loved one. We just don't know.

A week ago I was jogging and felt something in my groin pull. I knew somehow I was twisted. That night we had another baby so I did doula work. The next day I was so sore I was downright uncomfortable and then on Friday I went to my chiropractor. My left hip was so high off the table it was ridiculous. At some point my lower back turned into one ball of spasm. I could not get up. When I finally got home Rich and Michael helped me to get out of the car and into the house. I spent 3 days in our twin recliners alternating between heat and ice.

What it really did was re convict me of just how strong my husband is. His will to live far exceeds anything I have seen. People at church will remark sometimes just how good he looks when he has just spent the worst week of this terrible ordeal. Unless you are up close and personal you have no clue. I am done with sitting on this recliner. It gets old, you get sick of TV, of reading and sleeping. The ability to get up and go is something I certainly take for granted.

How many people are like my husband? I met a single woman with two small children who was diagnosed recently with a life ended disease that has quickly put her in a wheel chair. By her smile you would never know how this disease is wearing down her faith. 

I remember one time I had gone through the grocery store line and witnessed the anger of the checker. No one was doing anything right in her book. At first I was judgemental thinking she should be displaying better customer service. Then it occurred to me, I just bet she is going through something really tough to be lashing out at the customers. When it was my turn I smiled and said, you must be having a really bad day, I am so sorry for what is going on in your life and I will pray your day gets better.

It took me looking through the eyes of Jesus to see the pain of this woman. Amy Grant wrote a song very early in her career called My Father's Eyes. That song has stayed with me. You never know what someone is going through just by seeing with human eyes. It takes eyes of our Father that helps us see the truth.

Something to think about today.
In Christ Alone,




Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment