Thursday, May 9, 2013

Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound




I have to say, when I first started to write this story I had not intended to take it in this direction. I have rarely shared this story. Those who know and love us best know Richard and his story but it is not something we have shared publicly. Probably because we would be regarded as quakes if we did. I had started Richards story for the adoption piece because I really wanted to write about adoptions that didn’t go as planned. First though, I wanted to write a story about a positive adoption. Hopefully that makes sense. So on to the story.

Richard and I were med-evacuated out to a larger base. The plan was to stay in the hospital for at least a week to do all the testing. By this point he was 5 months old.

We saw so many neurologists I lost count. Everyone wanted to see the baby who was blind. We had nuclear testing done on his brain, sleep studies, countless Ct scans and MRI’s. All without a clear picture of what had happened to our baby.  We had ophthalmologists and pediatricians and everyone else who wanted to come see and no answers. Each time we were told atrophy had already occurred so it was impossible to reverse.

And each day a little girl prayed. Confident that God would heal her baby brother. How do you explain to a child that God is ABLE but usually doesn’t choose to heal in such a dramatic way? We wrestled with the question, it was so heavy on my heart along with the knowledge that Richard would never see his family who loved him or the magnificent mountains or the stunning oceans.

It was a very stressful season in our lives. There was no family around to help us. Back then there were no cell phones to just call loved ones. Every long distance call came with a hefty price. The church we attended was wonderful but we didn’t know them and they didn’t know us. It was a very lonely time indeed to walk this path.

And then a miracle happened. One that to this day cannot be explained by doctors or anyone else, a simple, quiet miracle. There was no fan fare. No trumpets were blown, no $25 prayer clothes were used. Just a continual prayer by a little girl named Serenity who believed.

Toward the end of our hospital stay one morning the ophthalmologist came in to go over some tests. His right eye was following movements, tracking with the doctor! How could that be I asked? He looked behind his eyes and the atrophy that was once irreversible had vanished. We couldn’t believe it, how is that possible?  The doctor had no answers that day.

He checked his left eye and still no response, still no change. The next day he came back in and sure enough, the left eye was tracking and the atrophy was gone!  I will be brutally honest; my mind could simply not compute that God had healed our baby’s eyes. I don’t know if I was simply shocked or what, but to my shame I did not give God the glory at that point.

We flew home several days and tests later without a single explanation medically as to what happened. Thoughts like, maybe they had been wrong all along. Of course I knew in my heart that he indeed was blind. I was there when the first doctor checked him. There was no doubt that he was indeed blind and now he could see.

I got home and there was Serenity with a smile as big as could be. Her mighty God had healed her baby brother. To her it was so simple. We tried to settle into some routine but as the Air Force has a way of doing, we moved shortly after. I didn’t know quite what to do or say. Would anyone believe me that God had healed our son? I knew people would think we were crazy so for the most part I kept quiet. All our family knew that God had healed our son but outside of that, no one was told.

The song Amazing Grace kept coming to mind. Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me, I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see.  That my friends,  is amazing grace!  




Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Jill . . . . what an amazing story. Our awesome wonderful God is Great!!! Ande we, quite honestly forget. Thank you so much for sharing. I needed that today. . . . Thank you.
    We are lead by hearts of children. Kathy Lough

    ReplyDelete
  2. A child's FAITH!!! GOD is the HEALER of ALL things. Sweet story!!

    ReplyDelete