Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Welcome Baby N


Baby N
After two false starts with two other Mama's ready to deliver, we finally have a baby again! It usually ends up being around midnight or one o'clock in the morning, which is why I try to go to bed around 9 p.m. At least I get a couple of hours before starting work. So I am up and dressed in about five minutes and off I go. We visit each home about a month before the official due date to see where everything is at. It sure helps in the middle of the night to find a house in the dark that I have already been to.

Courtney and I get there around the same time so we get busy setting things up. Mama is down on her knees lying over a birth ball laboring quietly. I start head compressions and she is happy with how it makes her feel. I get out my fetal scope to get a baseline for the babies heart beat. No matter how hard I tried I could not find any heart tones. Wendy is there by that time and so she tries for heart tones and at first can't get any. In the back of my mind I am praying fervently to the LORD to protect the baby. Finally a heart rate is found but it is low, much lower than we would want to see in active labor without pushing. Mama N changes positions and Courtney gets out the oxygen and sets it up in case we need it.

The birth tub gets filled up while Mama labors quietly. She is in total control of her body and is totally in the zone. This Mama has birthed a couple of other times and has it down pat. Once in the tub we have a smile from Mama. The water feels wonderful to her. I work on head squeezes while heart tones are done every 15 minutes. Eventually the babies heart tones go up to a more normal range which makes us all happy.

Just a couple more hours Mama starts feeling the need to push. I take over the paperwork, charting what is going on and Courtney takes the place of catching this baby. Mama had to work very hard to push this baby out. It took about 30 minutes but she got the job done! Out came a beautiful Gerber baby girl. I love it when parents decide to wait to find out if it is a boy or a girl. It adds to the fun wondering which the baby is.

This was a wonderful birth. After our last birth it was a welcome relief to have such a smooth birth. After baby and Mama soaked in a tub filled with a herbal bath we tucked them all into bed. It was a long night but worth every minute. A precious new life has entered the world. What she will become is a mystery but I know how she started, peacefully born into her Mama's arms. Now that is something to be thankful for.

1 comment: