Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Gratituesday


                                                          Wonderful Opportunities 




Today I am so very thankful for the endless possibilities to serve the LORD.

I well remember years ago we had a very tough foster son. When it was time for him to leave I desperately needed a break. He had had multiple physical ailments including being a quadriplegic.  He was only 10 years old but a real handful. He decided that he needed more drama in his life so he unsealed his heart broviac and just let the blood drain out of him.  He also took the tube and started squirting the blood all over the place. It was a very tough day. Of course it would have killed him but thankfully I caught it in time. I tell you that story to give you the backdrop of how I felt afterwards.

I remember going to church the next week without any foster children. No babies with tubes or body casts and no 10 year old boys in a wheelchair. I actually wondered aloud what my purpose in life was. If I were to quit doing foster care what would my purpose be? Was raising our own children enough of a ministry to be pleasing to the LORD?

Now before you throw something at me know this, I was wrong. God is most concerned with our hearts. If we serve in Jesus' name because we love him then that is enough. Raising our own children was enough. God gave us these precious children of ours to love ad mold them into Godly children who have hearts for Him. If I had "accomplished" nothing else in my life that would have been enough.  Remember Noah? He walked with the LORD who saved his own family. He preached for 100 years while building the arc and that was "enough"

Back to the Sunday after leaving foster care. I could not see the future so all I could see was that my ministry was gone. I had lost track of the fact that there are indeed seasons of our lives. Each season comes with it's own set of joy and challenges. I had always believed that you didn't have to do foster care but could chose anything that served those in need. I had forgotten I could still serve without doing foster care. Does that make sense?

Enter the year 2013. Never in a million years would I have guessed that God could show me such wonderful other ways to serve his children. When God called me to midwifery he showed me I would use all my previous experiences to become all he wanted me to be. Nothing from my past would be lost. God would gather up all those experiences whether they were filled with joy or sorrow and use them for the new ministry.

Now the LORD is leading me to go to Haiti and serve the truly underserved. Mama's and baby's die in Haiti during childbirth at one of the highest rates in the world. Two midwives went to Haiti after the earthquake and had planned on staying to help things get back to normal. Fortunately they decided to stay and build a non-profit birth center in the midst of incredible poverty to help Mama's birth healthy babies.

LORD willing I will be going in October and staying 6 weeks. I should be able to deliver around 50 babies during the time I am there. I will serve women in prenatal visits, birth and after birth. I will help with the local garden to supply food. Because of this birth center these women can birth in a clean bed with clean water so they have the best chance at survival. I am so thankful for the vision of the two midwives who took a chance and moved to a place of utter poverty to help them build better lives.

Would you please pray for me and for the birth center? I have a lot to do including fund raising for the trip. I am being asked to bring quite a few birth supplies with me and other medical supplies to help fund the birth center. Would you please pray for the women of Haiti? I am blessed beyond measure to get to be a part of a wonderful ministry. For that I am truly grateful!

What are you grateful for today? Leave me a comment, I would love to hear.

Blessings



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs
    I stumbleupon every day. It will always be exciting to read through articles
    from other authors and use a little something from their
    web sites.

    Visit my blog - weight loss management

    ReplyDelete