Sunday, February 17, 2013

Baby J Has Arrived! Finally


Baby J has arrived! Her bedroom is decorated like a magazine spread. Her Momma and Daddy were ready for their lives to be changed This will be the most loved on baby in forever.  They could hardly wait to hold their firstborn daughter. Mama had done her research and adamant wanting a home birth. She is a doctor and understood the safety of delivering at home. 

It has been my experience that every mom that comes into our practice has done her research. She tends to be in excellent health and eating a healthy diet. She knows her own body and is conscious of what she puts in it.

Mama was only about a week late but to her it seemed like an eternity! She could hardly wait to welcome her precious baby daughter.  The call came early afternoon. Her contractions were very close together and getting stronger. I grabbed my birthing bag and headed out. The roads were fairly icy at the time.

When we got there Mama was not the two minutes apart they thought she was.  Wendy checked her and she was at 5 cm. It was decided that we should go and get a bite to eat while she settled into a rhythm. When we got outside, the car I had borrowed from our daughter was locked with the key nowhere to be found. I searched everywhere.  One of us got a bright idea to break into the car so we got a hangar and tried to break into it. I am much better at catching babies then breaking into cars!

We called AAA and an hour later they came out and broke into the car. Unfortunately the key was still nowhere to be found.  So, I went and retraced my steps, had everyone check my pockets, my purse etc.  I looked around the deacons’ bench where I had laid my coat again, still nothing.  Of course my car was the last in so we couldn’t get anywhere till the key was found. Finally I looked over to the left of the bench and looked into a basket that was full of shoes. Lo and behold, the key had found it’s way into Dad’s shoe.  By the time we found the keys it was way too late to go anywhere.

Mama was in full, active labor and so we got to work supporting her. I love doing doula work for our Mom’s and she really benefited from counter pressure on her head and her hips.  My first gal I did doula work for said the counter pressure, especially her head was amazing and couldn’t believe how much it helped. I was really pleased since that trick cost me $400 to learn!

Mama labored in the tub, on the toilet, on the bed and on the birthing ball. Most of her labor was in her back so we knew the baby’s position was probably posterior. Once Mama started pushing I figured we would be catching a baby in less than an hour. Unfortunately it took four and half hours of continued pushing before baby was born.

It was my turn to catch the baby (we tend to rotate since I have an awesome teacher and believes in hands on learning) and Mama was on all fours on the bed.  I was on my knees to her right. As the baby descended I realized that my abs could not sustain my position for the actual delivery so I ended up laying on my right side with my arms between Mamas’ arms to the perineum. This was a new position for me. Maybe other midwives deliver this way but it was the best I could do at the moment.

As the babies’ head emerged slowly her face was facing me. Instead of the head molding and coming out either anterior or posterior her head came out sideways. That is why it took so long! The babies’ head did not mold so it elongated to come out. This baby had a very long head.  Thankfully it only took a couple of days for it to get back into the correct shape. Once I caught the baby I laid her down under Mama and slid off the bed so she could pick her up and sit back down.

Other than a long head, baby was perfect. She had all her fingers and toes and she pinked right up. Through all four hours of pushing we checked her heart rate and it always remained steady. She was a perfectly normal baby.

Mama and Daddy were thrilled the ordeal was over. There were tears of sheer joy for this beautiful little bundle. We were thrilled for them. We stayed about three hours after the birth checking both Mama and baby out and cleaning everything up.

By the time we were done it was five o’clock in the morning, the next day and we were starving. When Mama and baby were all cleaned up and tucked into bed we said our goodbyes and left.
Normally we go back to the house 24 hours after delivery. We re-weigh the baby to make sure breastfeeding is going well. We take blood from the baby. The blood test is mandated by the government.  They test for all kinds of rare metabolic disorders. We also make sure Mama is doing all right emotionally and physically.

When we got back the next day baby girls’ head had shrunk by about 2/3. We were very pleased. Mama and baby were doing great.

I learned a lot during this labor and delivery. Sometimes no matter how hard you try to get a baby into the correct position the baby comes out crooked. It takes a lot of patience and encouragement to deliver a baby this way.  Lesson learned.

I am so blessed to be apart of such a wonderful team. I am learning so much and have a deeper appreciation for such strong and amazing young Mama’s wanting the best possible start for their babies.










Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment