Monday, October 1, 2012

Your Epitaph- What Will it Say?




 Driving in Vermont last week Rayetta and I came across the first church ever built in the state. We went inside and was just amazed at what we saw.  More on that another time. What was even more fascinating was the cemetery next to the church. Soldiers from the Revolutionary war are buried there.  I read quite a few gravestones.  Walking along I saw a sign for directions to Robert Frost's gravestone.  We followed the signs around and down towards the back where we found this gravestone.  Under his name it says this;
"I had a lovers quarrel with the world".

Now I don't know about you but I seriously doubt that statement would ever find it's way onto my gravestone.  What I do know is that we need to live now the way we want to die and be remembered. I am frequently reminded that our life here is so short.

I know we don't live that way and that saddens me.  Remember when Noah was building the ark? It took him 100 years to build that boat and during that time he told people to get ready and they ignored him.  This world is not our home friends.  I know you know that but do you believe that?  And if you believe that are living like you believe it?

We have been talking about time the past week.  Why do we spend time on stuff that doesn't matter a hill of beans?  Why do we stress about things that in light of eternity also doesn't matter a hill of beans?

Two people I love are looking at eternity right now and praising God that it is closer now than ever.  In the blink of an eye we will leave this world.  Would you join me today in living like we believe we are just traveling through?

What would you want to write on your gravestone?

In Christ Alone,
Jill


Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment