Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Test Time


As some of you know I am training to become a midwife.  After 35 years of staying home and raising my babies I am now a student.  Just that word brings a thrill to my soul.  For over a year now I had been dreaming almost nightly that I am back in college and failing miserably.  Seems I can't find my classroom or I get there and don't have my homework done or worse, I flunk the test.  Over and over again I had this dream that would not go away.  That is until I found myself starting to study.  

As part of my midwife training I have to become a DOULA at the same time. In preparation for a weekend training coming up I have 5 books to read, and a very lengthy study guide to answer.  I spent 5 hours the other day sitting at a desk and just pouring over the information.  It felt good to be stretching my mind.  Feeding new information into this brain of mine has been quite an exciting adventure so far.

I also met with my first mama who plans on delivering at home.  She will be my very first delivery at home.  I am honored to become part of the team that will assist her in bringing this baby into the world.  I am excited and nervous all at the same time.  This isn't just information on a page that I am learning but real life in witnessing the birth of a child.  

I am very thankful that I am not attending this birth on my own. I don't have what it takes yet to be that seasoned mid-wife but Lord willing, some time in the future I will be.  

All of this reminds me about our walk with the LORD.  You see, someday and you and I don't have a clue when that someday will come, but someday we will meet face to face with our Savior and will need to be ready.  Ready to answer how we used our talents.  Ready to answer how we used our mouths and our hands and our feet.  Oh, don't get me wrong precious one.  Jesus will stand in the gap for us and pour his grace and mercy on us. That being said, we will stand for that one last final test.  Answering for our lives.

Will you be ready? Speaking of ready, I now have two women ready to deliver. The phone is now with me 24/7, my scrubs are ready, there is gas in the car and my books are ready to take with me at a moment's notice.  When I get that call I will be ready to go.

When God gives us that final call will you and I be ready to go? Think about it, won't you? 

 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,  in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.
1 Cor 15:51-52 (ESV)

In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. A friend's daughter is thinking that she would like to be a mid-wife. Are you able to share the titles of your books and/or where you got the information for study & testing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do to www.narm.org you will find a wealth of information. Good luck

    ReplyDelete