Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gratituesday

What a blessing my weekend was.  My brother in-law decided to throw a half hundredth birthday for my "little" sister.  Now when these two throw a party they really throw a party. All of us "Jost kids" flew in to join in the festivities.

My brother in-law graciously donated buddy passes for the event.  That means we fly for free but do it going stand-by, an adventure all it's own.  Well I had an adventure for sure.  On one leg of the trip I sat next to a young man who was now a junior in the Air Force Academy.  He was such a delight. He grew up in Vietnam and became a citizen of the United States during his senior year of high school.  He has a heart for the freedom fighters left behind during the war.  These soldiers are now in their 60's and 70's who lost limbs or other disabilities fighting for us.  The government doesn't help them and they are abandoned.

This young cadet wants to start a non-profit to help the freedom fighters get the medicines they so desperately need.  He was at a loss as to how he can start a non-profit.  By the end of the flight he had papers in hand with all the places he needs to go to start one.  I also told him about Kisses from Katie, the book I recently told you about. He was inspired by her desire to help people in need.

The second leg of the trip was just as interesting.  Over the loud speaker I heard a plea for help with a passenger who had a medical need. I saw that no one was jumping up so I got up and headed to the back. As I got closer I saw a guy pass out at my feet.  He could not hear either us trying to talk to him. His eyes had rolled back into his head. He was perspiring profusely.  His blood pressure was low.  After 45 minutes of juice and oxygen he perked back up.  He and I were reassigned to the front of the plane so that when the medics arrived they had easy access to him.  It reaffirmed once again that I really want to go in to the medical field. (That will be another post)

The before party festivities were a riot. My siblings and I went to the store to find just the perfect gift for the birthday girl.  We laughed till our livers were totally exercised.  We decided to go for a princess theme.  Of course the princess tiara was the first gift to go into the princess gift bag.  Then, princess toothbrush, princess wash cloth, princess memory game, princess coloring book etc. etc. etc.  I can't remember when I had that much fun picking out gifts.

This makes three times this year that I have been with my siblings.  That is a record for us.  As I get older I realize just how precious the time is for my sibs and I.  They are an absolute joy.  I am so blessed and grateful for the time I get to spend with them.

Thank you Father for blessing me with wonderful sibs and the time I get to spend with them.

In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

3 comments:

  1. Today I find myself filled with thanks for the peace we find in God. Yesterday was a particularly trying day . . . our second car permanently bit the dust (praise God my husband who was driving was kept safe when the steering of the car went out), my vacuum's on/off button broke, my computer was acting crazy and due to former tenants not paying their water bill, our water was shut off.

    In spite of all that, I did not fill stressed and, indeed, had a very enjoyable day. I find myself overwhelmed with the thought that I've been kept by the Lord. I know that left on my own, I would have been stressing big time. But peace? That's a gift from God. What a joy to have times like this and know that our Redeemer lives, and He lives and reigns over me to fill me with peace in the midst of trouble. Somehow, it's worth it to know that Presence is real!!! He'll keep me, be a foundation under me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure am glad hubby was safe. I know the challenges faced when you are down to one car. THat has happened to us multiple times this past summer.
    He will indeed continue to be your foundation Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As your oldest sib who shared a hotel room with you and John this past trip, I'm thankful for the fact that my John didn't snore and that you didn't steal the covers! Thankful for a wonderful time in Phoenix helping our youngest sib cross the threshold to "mature" years.

    ReplyDelete