Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Gratituesday October 30th, 2012



I absolutely love music.  I have been singing for as long as I can remember. I sang in the concert choir in high school. I sang with my little sister at night alone in our room, belting out the alto part of a hymn.  As a  child I remember singing into a fan blowing on me. I know, very weird but I loved the sound for some reason. We have a son that has been singing since he was born.  He can make up a song in a heart beat and melt that heart into mush.

Music is powerful.  It has the power to help a despondent teen who doesn't know which way to turn. It has the power to soothe a fussy baby and distract a toddler melting down.  It also has the power to to remind a person of the amazing grace we are given by God.

I mention this because our congregation has a sweet sister named Molly who is in the battle of her life.  She has been fighting ALS for several years and now a cruel twist has been thrown on her. She is now battling breast cancer. It already has gone into the lymph nodes. She has to have massive chemotherapy treatments for 8 hours at a time for months so the cancer can be shrunken and then taken out.  Everyone wants to be like Molly.

Molly wanted some sort of device to listen to music to help her with the chemotherapy sessions.  She put out a request for each of us to find a song that has ministered to us and give it to her.  Then her husband bought her a MP3 player and started putting on the music with the name of the person who gave it to her.  Guess what she is doing during each song?  Praying for the person who gave her the song.  Stop and think about it. She is the one that is in the battle of her life and she is praying for others!

I called her on her first day of chemo to be an encouragement.  She was so thankful for the music.  Molly said that she was just praising God through each piece of music.  I am so thankful for music that can minister to a great woman of faith who spends her time worshiping the Perfect Physician.  Music is truly a gift from God as a balm for our souls.


Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an inspiration Molly is being to others - even during her own trials! I need to be more like Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you for sharing this. Incredibly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Molly's story. Let her know that she is being an encouragement to many people.

    ReplyDelete