Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Gratituesday Oct 16,2012

"Mommy, why don't you work?" said the little child.  The Mommy says,  "Well honey, I DO work."   "No", says the little child.   "You don't work, you are right here with me!"  It is then that the Mommy bends down, eye to eye and says, "Some day if I want to go and be a brain surgeon after you are grown and gone then I will be a brain surgeon.  Until then, I am staying right here with you."

I finally put it all together the other day.  Forty years ago I was a candy stripper.  For those of you who have never heard of one, let me explain.  You wear this nerdy (or adorable) little outfit. The button down white highly starched white blouse over a pink and white striped jumper.  I will never forget the pride I felt wearing that outfit.  I would deliver flowers to rooms, I would fill up the water pitchers by the bed and smile at everyone I saw to make them feel better.  I LOVED that job.  It lasted about a year and then I went and got a "real" job.  You know the one I am talking about, the one where you get a paycheck!

Each time the children would ask me the question, "Why don't you work?" I would say the same thing.  Why I picked a brain surgeon as my example just highlights what God was preparing me for.  By now you have probably figured out that it is a little bit late for me to become a brain surgeon.  Something about my age!

So I started doing some research 2 years ago. Last son to launch is a senior now in high school so I wanted to be prepared.  I dreamed of going back to college to finish what I started all those years ago.  Imagine seeing your transcript from way back when. Of course I was a tad indignant.  How in the world did I get a B in PE class?  Why not an A?  So I digress.

I started looking into nursing programs.  Even went to so far as to apply to our local Christian college's nursing program.  I was all excited... that is until I read all the paperwork concerning the cost.  Mercy, I would come out over $80K in debt at a time when I am hitting age 60.  After the cost analysis I realized I had to do something else.

What is the next best thing you ask? A nurse midwife.  :)  So my friends, after all these years of not working {BG} I am headed back to school books and assisting the assistant for women choosing to give birth at home.  My training starts this Friday. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. 

Gratituesday.  So very thankful for the opportunity to realize a dream starting way back when I wore that little candy stripper uniform all those years ago.  So thankful that I get an opportunity to serve in a new way.

What are you thankful for today?
In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

3 comments:

  1. So glad you get to do this! I know you will be wonderful in this area:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Jill. How excitedvhou must be and what an example hou are go everyone. I just don't know how you have the strength and time. God bless you as you follow your dream.

    ReplyDelete