Thursday, September 27, 2012

What's OUR Motivation?

I want to continue some thoughts about sacrificing of time. I don't want to move on too quickly because this comes to the root of sacrificing.

Motivation is a powerful tool.   Some very famous people make big bucks trying to motivate us for this or that.  So our question today is this, what is OUR motivation to spend time with the LORD?

Back when I was a child I lived in an orphanage.  It was a "Christian" orphanage and so we were taught some basic Bible truths.  One stands out for me. Some of the girls were down in the room where there were some tables and chairs. At the front of the room was a chalkboard.   The lady we called Aunt so and so was at the chalkboard.  She was explaining that God had a book with our name in it.  Each person had a page apparently.  At the end of the day there would be an accounting of our day in that book.

There would be two columns on the page.  In one column there would be a place for check marks.  If I had done three good things that day then I would get 3 check marks.  However, if I had done 5 things wrong there would be 5 X's in the other column. Of course 5 is a bigger number then 3 so if I died that night I would go to hell.  Each day was a snapshot of our lives. You never wanted to go to bed with more X's than checks!

Can you imagine what my motivation was for being a Christian way back then?  FEAR!  I was motivated by fear.  I wanted to serve God because I did not want to go to hell and burn for eternity.  The motivation of fear can only go so far though.

As time went on and I read God's word I began to realize that fear was not the reason to become a Christian.  I slowly began to fall in love with the LORD.  He started to become my Papa.  Not a Dad who yelled and screamed and cursed you out but a Papa.  A loving father who wanted me to sit on his lap and tell him about my day. A Papa who could tell me stories that kept me spellbound.  A Papa that had so much love for me that He would ask his son to do the hardest thing imaginable, die for me.

That love for my Papa has just increased over the years. I no longer live in fear because I know that perfect love casts out fear. 1 John 4:18.  I do stand amazed at his love for me.  Because of this fact I want to spend time with my Papa.  I want to know what He thinks.  I want my heart to look like His.

That is why I want to spend time and actually sacrifice my time for Him.  So the question we end with is this. What is YOUR motivation?  Spend some time and think about that, won't you?

In Christ Alone,
Jill







Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. Jill, thanks for sharing your heart. I too grew up with that teaching,how wonderful it is to know that in Christ, we are made perfect and the "good works" we do today are because we love Him and not to save us or condemn us. Thanks for the reminder of the great salvation we have.

    PS - I love your "Jiller" saying, I will remember that when I get out of bed tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete