Friday, September 14, 2012

Life is Messy

Life Gets Untangled at the Foot of the Cross 

At the foot of the cross, that is where all of life's messiness gets dealt with.  It is at the foot of the cross that I sometimes crawl to when I need to untangle my life.
  
A buddy of mine were talking the other day about the season of life we are both in right now. Never in our wildest dreams did we think we would be where we are right now.  Like the child in the Christmas story, we had visions of sugar plums dancing in our heads but now the dancing is not what we thought.Why does life get so messy we asked?

This afternoon I was driving the car pool with two lovely young ladies.  I had a captive audience while listening to Dave Ramsey. I knew he was having a guest for half an hour that might be interesting so I kept it on.  Dave introduced Katie Davis. When she graduated from high school 4 years ago she decided to put college on hold for just one year and go to Uganda on a mission trip.

Katie had lots of plans for her life. Funny thing happened during that year.  God apparently was calling her to a much harder task.  She never did leave Uganda to go back "home" and attend college.  She is now a mother to 13 little girls and runs a huge feeding operation for over 2,000 children a day.  The young ladies in the back of my car had stopped texting and sat spell bound along with me.  

Dave wanted to know if she was ever disappointed that her life had not turned out like she had thought. With such a sweet young voice she admitted that the first year or two she would have moments where she would grieve what she would miss by not having a "normal" life. She then went on to describe the "stripping" that God was doing in her life to mold and shape her.  

That brought me back to my conversation with my buddy.  We both have times when we are disappointed that our lives have not turned out like we had visioned.  Life truly is pretty messy. The great news is God takes our messes and untangles them.  He has a will for our lives.  The question then becomes, are we willing to allow God to mold and shape us into HIS will and not ours?  

This takes me back to Gethsemane. Time spent alone with the Father. His disciples can't seem to stay awake to wrestle with the choice Jesus will have to make.  His will or his Father's will.  Drops of sweat pour off his face.  Tears and anguish. Pleading with the Father for another way.  After the anguish though comes sweet surrender.  "Not my will but yours Father" 

Katie Davis surrendered to the will of the Father.  Forgive me Father for wanting things my way.  Lead me to that sweat surrender.

Katie has written a book called  Kisses From Katie and has a blog  kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/

In Christ Alone,
Jill

1 comment:

  1. Its when He turns our life messes into our greatest message that his story gets told in a personal and authentic way. Praising Gid that in our weakness He is strong.

    ReplyDelete