Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Learning to Sit at the Feet of Jesus

The other day I wrote about surrendering our will to the Father's. It reminds me of a scripture that I have been meditating on now for months. Listen:

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
Romans 12:1 (ESV)

When I think about sacrifices I think about the garden scene in Gethsemene.  Jesus had to wrestle within himself to come to the point where he said to his Father, Not My Will but Thine .  Much tears went into the surrender that lonely night. Do not lose sight of the fact that Jesus was 100% God and 100% Man.

In the book of Romans Paul tells us that we need to present our bodies a living sacrifice.  It is that word sacrifice that I keep coming back to in my meditation.  I can tell you as a Christian who lives in American I don't really have to sacrifice about much of anything unless I want to.  You want to see deep, gut wrenching sacrifice you have to pretty much leave our country and go to a Communist country and find fellow believers who really do sacrifice daily to be a Christian.

Yet, Paul tells believers that we are all to be living sacrifices.  We live in a society that says we look out for number one. We want everything right now.  Want something? No problem, just charge it.  It can always be paid off later in 12 easy payments!  We tend to look at our spiritual lives the same way. May I suggest that our theology gets twisted sideways.

How do we become living sacrifices, holy and acceptable to God?  Learning to sit at the feet of Jesus. Would you join me on a journey to be still long enough to hear from our Father? It takes sacrifice of time first and foremost.  Time is our most precious commodity. Are you willing to sacrifice some of your time to learn from the Master?

Next time we will look at how Jesus learned to sacrifice long before the cross.

Till next time.
In Christ Alone,
Jill
 


Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment