Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Laughter, The BEST Medicine


Good morning to all of you.  It is Tuesday, which means we are celebrating Gratituesday.  A time we set aside each week to fill our hearts with gratitude.  Our LORD waits patiently for us to find things to be thankful for.  So, this week the joke is on me.

A dear friend has been sharing her bounty of beautiful tomatoes with me. If you read my blog very often you know that I really love canning fresh things.  Most of my canning done this summer has been in the Plain Community. Which of course is where I learned a really cool shortcut.

Instead of putting one tomato in boiling water at at time like the cookbooks say, you pour boiling water over the entire bucket all at once.  This method is super fast when you are doing buckets of fresh produce. So, Saturday morning I put the bucket pictured above (can't seem to rotate it, sorry) on the floor so I could pour a really huge pot of boiling water on top.

I happily start pouring boiling hot water over these tomatoes when all of the sudden water starts pouring out onto the floor from multiple holes. Of course I start jumping since I am right next to it while I continue to pour more water in.  It is then ( I know, a little slow Jill) that I realize my fatal mistake. This bucket has not one but about 30 holes!

Hubby was sitting in the living room and starts seeing all these holes sprout water and watches me dance while I try to put the silly bucket on top of the counter.  "Get it in the sink," he yells.   Once it is safely in the sink we continue to watch as the bucket empties from every little hole.  Hubby looks at a wife startled, kind of like a deer in your headlights startled and says to me; "Did you not see all those holes Jill before you started pouring boiling water over them?"

It was then that a sweet sound erupted in our little kitchen, laughter.  Belly laughs deep down to our toes. It was so stinking funny that it was absurd.  We laughed and we laughed.  When it was all over and the mess was cleaned up I had to stop and thank God.  For one brief moment in time my husbands pain was not shouting louder than anything else was in our lives.  Laughter was the best medicine that day.

For that I am truly grateful.  What are you thankful for today? I would love to hear.

In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. Loved this one! Yes laughter is wonderful for the soul:)

    ReplyDelete