Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Adventure to the Plain Community

 Hello dear friends.  I have missed being here.  I am finally back from my trip and wanted to spend a couple of days sharing my adventure.

What an adventure it was!  This was my first trip to the Plain Community where I had a family member actually living there.  Son and his very pregnant wife and children moved about 2 months ago to the community. Going from a totally electric driven house to one with zero electricity can be a challenge. Especially when you are in the middle of a very hot summer with no air conditioning!

When a new family moves into the community they are warmly welcomed.  Every other family takes turns to bring a meal to help with the transition.  If a new family moves in after the crops are put in the ground then they share in the bounty when harvesting starts.

It is this sense of real community that the Plain people crave and search for.  It has really made me think about the draw to such a place. The men call each other brother and they are not just empty words. Most of the men in the community see each other daily.  I am reminded of the scripture that says, "Iron sharpens iron".  That is what they do for each other.

Young ladies in the community are sent to other families in the community to help for a day to those young moms who need extra help. Especially during the canning season, which is what I jumped into as soon as arriving.  More on that next time.

This is so counter culture from how we do things in this country. We are taught to be independent of anyone. We not only don't know out neighbors anymore but we hardly know many in our own churches. We can do it ourselves, thank you very much!  That is why people can "go to church" each Sunday and feel so alone. This sense of belonging though is very strong inside of each one of us. This group is a perfect example of living in community with our brothers and sisters.

So I guess the question is, how can we feel like we are part of a community without moving to a Plain Community? Something to think on. Till next time.

In Christ Alone,
Jill




Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your series. That sense of community is something I have been wanting and longing for. I don't know how to achieve it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your post through Kristina's blog :)
    And I echo her thoughts! I yearn for a community like this!

    ReplyDelete