Friday, August 3, 2012

Having ALL Things in Common

The Fellowship of the Believers
42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
Acts 2:42-47 (ESV)

This scripture came to my mind the first morning I was at the community. A young girl probably around 8 or 9 knocked on the door around 6am.  It was kind of a shock to be honest. I can't think of any girls knocking on my door that early!  In her hand was a gallon glass jug of ice cold milk.  She told me that her family wondered if we needed any milk? She told me to just pour out what I needed and she would be on her way to the next family. 

Three bushels of freshly picked corn had been dropped of a day or two before I arrived at the community. Seems one of the families wanted to share their bounty with our son and family.  The day after I arrived a woman with her children drove up in a wagon with multiple bushels of tomatoes.  We were also given green beans. 

Canning is a huge part of the work in the summer.  They grow almost everything that they eat so they can all the produce that isn't eating right from the garden. The second day I was there I canned 49 jars of corn. That was a very long day!  The ladies all have a "summer kitchen" on their porches.  It is usually a 3 burner propane driven cook top.  Most do all of their canning on the porch. They even take out their wood burning stoves from their kitchens in the summer and put them out on the porch too!

Several of the older young ladies came and helped a few times while I was there. They taught me a more efficient way to can tomatoes in such huge quantities. When canning tomatoes you have to take the skin off of each tomato and then core and chop each one.  I was dipping one tomato at a time in a saucepan. The next day one of the gals came over and I asked her to start on the tomatoes and she poured boiling water over the entire bucket and let sit for a few minutes and then started pealing. I thought, now why didn't I think of that! It probably has something to do with never canning 7 bushels of tomatoes at once!

Some of the brethren in the community raise pigs for meat.  Rarely does someone raise beef but a lot of them raise chickens and then cook the meat and can them.  I went and got about 30# of beef and 10# of sausage and canned those.  I had to look in a book since I had never canned meat in my life. When I was at the community last year I had eaten canned meat and I have to say it was just fine. The thought made me a little squeamish but it tasted just fine. When you don't have refrigeration you have to learn a whole new way of feeding your family.

I ended up canning dozens of jars of dried beans, carrots, hominy and tomato sauce along with chopped tomatoes. The root cellar looks pretty cool now. There is nothing to fear this winter.  All of this was possible because a group of Christians look out for each other.  Son and family were not in the community when they planted their gardens.  Several of the families were in the same situation.  Because of the sharing everyone will have enough food to get through the winter.

Now I call that, having all things in common.
Be a blessing to someone today.
In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. What a great experience for you and for your son and his family that now live there. How is your husband doing Jill?

    ReplyDelete