Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What is SIN?

 
In Jeff Bridge’s book Respectable Sins he talks about the church’s attitude toward sin.  He rightly claims that we get so worked up about our culture’s sin and neglect our own.  Who hasn’t looked at someone in our culture who really stands out and points the finger at their very public sins?  I doubt any of us could claim perfection on that one.  Why is it that we can get so worked up about someone outside the body who sins but ignore the sins in our own bodies? 

The book of James is filled with talk of sins. In fact James says something that changes our paradigm if we are honest with ourselves.
"If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.
Ouch, so if I understand this correctly any sin no matter how small breaks God’s law.  Sin is lawlessness. 
 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 1 John 3:4

I want to quote from the author because he said it much better than I.  “It is not just breaking a single command; it is a complete disregard for the law of God, a deliberate rejection of His moral will in favor of fulfilling one’s own desires.”  If you had asked me I would never want to say that I have a complete disregard for God’s law but that is what happens when I sin.  The second half of his statement though is truth.  It is a deliberate rejection of His moral will in favor of fulfilling one’s own desires.  We want to do it our way, don’t we? 

How many times do I want to do it the way I want to do it?  Plans, I got plans girlfriend.  Oh wretched woman that I am, who can save me?

There really is good news in all of this. God and God alone has a plan for our lives and it doesn’t include sin.  He can’t co-exist with sin.  Have you ever seen the bumper sticker with all kinds of pictures that spell out co-exist? I had to look it up to see what all the parts meant, here it is

Description: Every letter of the word "COEXIST" has a symbol that represents a system of thought
Text: "COEXIST" spelled with the crescent and star for Islam; the pentagram for Wicca; the relativity formula for science; the star of David for Judaism; the Karma Wheel dotting the i for Buddhism; the Tao symbol for Taoism; the cross for Christianity.

God can’t “co-exist with sin, period. 
“Sin is sin.  Even those sins that I call the “respectable sins of the saints- those that we tolerate in our own lives, are serious in God’s eyes. Our religious pride, our critical attitudes, our unkind speech about others, our impatience and anger and even our anxiety. All of these are serious in the sight of God.” I could not have said it as well.  I am deeply humbled, how about you?
Tomorrow we will talk about our unkind speech. Join me, won’t you?
In Christ Alone,
Jill


Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment