Thursday, July 12, 2012

Respectable Sins Part 1



 Remember the song, "Oh Be Careful Little Tongue What You Say?  I find that song kind of cute. In fact, I am back in the class on Wednesday nights with some kindergarteners.  I love to sing so that particular song. It is in my repertoire to sing with the children.  Confession though, I have decided after this week to chuck it out the window!
Our small group decided after doing the study of Respectable Sins to commit to a challenge for the week.  We each committed  to going 7 days with using Ephesians 4:29 as our guide.  Let me share it with you to refresh your memory.
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.  So we were supposed to keep this scripture foremost in our minds as we spoke.  Sounds easy, right?

Much to my utter surprise (I am sure we will be learning all about pride too) I had a challenge with this scripture.  It started less than 48 hours later.  I saw what I thought was an injustice and just asked a “simple” question.  God’s Spirit sure has a way with our hearts. One of his jobs is to convict us of our sins.  Mind you, not someone else’ sin but our sin.  The Spirit of God convicted me that the question I asked was really not a question at all but a way to attract attention to my perceived injustice.  I was a rat and I knew it. I had just sinned.  My speech was not used for building up, in fact it was just the opposite.  And my question certainly did not give grace to those who heard it. 

That is the problem with “respectable sins.”  Of course before I uttered the words my heart had already been lacking in grace.  Our speech is a challenge to tame as I learned this week. There are times when I speak before my head has time to think. That is when my mouth gets me into trouble. Happened as a kid too! 

I have been looking up some scriptures on the tongue and I have come to realize this topic needs more than one day. I seriously doubt I am the only one that needs some work on speech that builds up. SO join me tomorrow as we look into our mouths!

In Christ Alone,
Jill
 







Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment