Friday, July 13, 2012

A Dental Check-Up

 
Rich and I went to our regular dentist yesterday for a check-up.  I have friends who can’t stand going to the dentist but not me. I am weird in the dental hygiene arena.  I love having my teeth cleaned.  I was born with great genes for teeth.  My teeth are actually the size of baby teeth but they are rock solid.  There is one part of the cleaning though that is a little weird.  The hygienist will take a piece of gauze and ask me to stick out my tongue and grabs it.  Now I don’t know about you but I don’t typically pick up my tongue!  She moves it from side to side and turns it upside down and checks it.  When she did her tongue evaluation I had to chuckle.  That part of our mouth is powerful. In fact listen to this scripture;

Taming the Tongue
1  Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. 2 For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. 3 If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. 4 Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. 5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. 7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. 10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.
James 3:1-10 (ESV)

WOW!  After reading the above scripture aren’t you humbled?  I know I am.  The tongue is a mighty tool.  It can be used for good or evil.  James likens the tongue to a rudder of a ship. In comparison the rudder is so small to guide an entire ship but it has power.  Our tongues have great power. We can use our tongue to destroy or we can use our tongue to build up.  We each have a choice every single day.  How will you use it today?  For me I am going to spend the day taming that part of my body.  Now be encouraged and go and do likewise.  Till next time.
In Christ Alone,
Jill


Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

4 comments:

  1. So glad that you are posting again. These last few days are lessons that we all need to hear over and over again. I pray that Rich is still doing better! Thank you for reminding us of things we need to think about. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tongue is, indeed, powerful. And for this reason, we must think before we speak. :) I'm so glad to know that you love having your teeth cleaned, Jill. It shows how hygienic you are when it comes to your teeth. I believe your dentist moved your tongue from side to side because of the smallness of your teeth. It's normal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from checking it every three months, your teeth must be cleaned at least twice or thrice a year. Dental cleaning is part of a good oral hygiene. Regular checkups and cleaning is essential to prevent dental problems such as gum disease and infection. Well, my next cleaning is scheduled for first week of December! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. “I love having my teeth cleaned.” – I’m glad that you feel that way about dental procedures. Some people really do have some issues with regards to dental procedures. Statistics suggest that in Western countries, 7 to 13 percent of the population are afflicted with dental phobia. Many go on great lengths to avoid any dental procedure until their old age. I think you set a good example to your friends. Soon, they will realize that going to the dentist is an important part of taking care of their teeth and gums.

    ReplyDelete