Thursday, March 15, 2012

WHY?

Why can't I be like this beautiful eagle? He soars high above the fray. The view has to be breathtaking for this majestic bird.

Instead of soaring above the fray I seem to get stuck time after time down in the mud. My wings are dirty and caked with gunk. I can't fly like I want to. My talons are weak.

Why does life have to be this hard? Several years ago I read a book that changed me. It showed me that suffering builds character and draws us closer to the Master. I felt I was ready to actually ask for suffering and look what I got! Suffering. Oh foolish woman, you got exactly what you were asking for.

When I do soar the view is gorgeous. I can see for miles and miles. The air is crisp, the temperature perfect. I can glide above the clouds. It gives me perspective to be high above the fray. I am reminded that there is more to life than the lowlands.

Then, I slowly start to lose altitude. I hit the clouds and can't see. I lose perspective which causes me to sink back down to the lowlands with a mighty thud. On the way down my wings collect lots of gunk and when I finally hit bottom I land in the mud.

Why can't I continue to soar day after day? Why do I lose my perspective? Oh wretched woman that I am. Who can save me from the pit? There is only one, the ONE, the Alpha, the Omega who can clean off the wings of all the gunk that hinders my flight. Until that occurs I will wait.

Waiting forces me to slow down and be still. Waiting is hard when you want to "fix" the problems. Waiting though is the key. So for today I will cling to the promise.

but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

Isaiah 40:31 (ESV)

In Christ Alone,

Jill




Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. How ironic that you would write about the eagles today. Wednesday evening we saw eagles soaring about our neighborhood. They actually flew right over our house. I tried to capture it on video, but wasnt too successful. I don't have a real video camera, just a camera that shoots short videos..but the zoom was not good enough. They were beautiful! I loved your thoughts today but I wish that you were not going through any of this! Prayers your way every day:) Love you!

    ReplyDelete