Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Gate

Yesterday we talked about John Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress. In this allegory Christian is on his way to the Celestial City. He meets up with two guys, Hypocrisy and Formalist, who jump over the wall taking the easy way. These guys have taken short cuts their entire lives. As they walk with Christian they come to a crossroads. Up ahead a choice has to be made. There are three different routes to take. There is a steep cliff made of rocks that leads to the Wicket Gate. The other two options are to go around the cliff at the base from either the right or left side. They have been told the only way to reach the gate is to climb straight up. Since Hypocrisy and Formalist have done things the easy way they chose to not climb towards the gate and they both die.

This was probably one of the most profound parts of the book to me. I can so relate to these two clowns. Sometimes it is just so easy to go around the cliff. Climbing is hard work. Isn't the easy way better LORD? How many of us don't even think about the steep climb because we avoid it like the plague? Everyone else is going around the cliff. Why do I have to be different LORD? Why do you make the climb so hard? Oh wretched woman that I am, who can save me?

There is only one way through the gate, only one. How many times have you heard "we all love God in our own way. Every religion is fine, they all lead to God. To me my god is Buddha or another Muhammad." Let's see what Jesus, God's Son who is the LORD or LORD and King of Kings says.

Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. 2 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 7 So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. John 10

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

So we come back full circle, exactly how goes to heaven or who doesn't? Jesus is our shepherd so we need to hear his voice and these are his words not mine. The popular phrase, all roads lead to God are simply not true. We need to enter by the narrow gate period. Few find it which breaks my heart but that is God's way.

Tomorrow I want to look at the question, "If God is a loving God why would he send anyone to hell?

Till then I want to encourage you to spend some time thinking about heaven and imagine what it might be like.

In Christ Alone,

Jill





Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. Wow! amazing grace...how sweet the sound that saved me. I came to Christ after reading John 14:6 Christ our way,truth & life no one come to God but by him...Thanks for the blessed reminder. I'm really encouraged to think of heaven today...Pilgrims Progress, hum, I think I'll read it to my hubby. Love, Ana at our front porch :)

    ReplyDelete