Saturday, January 21, 2012

TRUTH

Jesus said, If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

John 8:31-32 (ESV)

The truth will set you and I free! What a promise from God. Our small group has been watching the Focus on the Family Truth Project. It is the third or fourth time that I have gone through the series. Each time I learn more and more about what real truth is. Lies are the opposite of truth. Remember that Satan is the father of all lies.

In my mind one of the most important truths after Jesus is the Son of God is that we are just travelers in this temporary home. It sure has hit home with me recently. We packed up a few things and moved over to our friends home for what we thought was 2 months of living with windows and woods. I chuckle because our plans are just that, ours. Our friends mom became ill and needed surgery so she needed to come home. So, we packed up what we had brought and moved back to our daughters. Now we are starting to pack again so we can move to an apartment that is wheelchair accessible . I feel like a gypsy again. While spending 22 years in the military we moved 14 times. I know what it's like to live like a gypsy! When you move as much as we did you end up traveling really light. Who wants to haul a bunch of "stuff" all over kingdom come?

We get SO comfortable here on planet earth. We begin to believe the lie that Satan gives us that the here and now is all that matters. It is a flash in the pan of eternity my friend. Remember when I visited the Plain Community of Caneyville back in November? They know how to travel light. As I sit here looking around the room I can see once again that I have accumulated "stuff" that will have to be moved again.

If God and his Spirit could convince us that this place we call home really isn't, how would we then live? If we are only here for a little while would we travel lightly? Is there anything we would give away? Is there anything we would stop purchasing? I for one have been challenged once again to view my surroundings in light of heaven.

I will never forget the last home we purchased. I finally got my "dream home". It was a simple ranch house with a full finished basement. It was out in the country. It had many trees and was just lovely to my standards. As we were moving in I remember standing at the door with Serenity. I was filled with contentment and told her I would not be moving again in this life. She would have to take me out feet first. What a foolish statement from a foolish woman! Serenity then said I better get busy dejunking some more because it would fall to her to get rid of all our "stuff" when I went out feet first. What I thought was my last home on earth wasn't.

You and I are travelers on this earth. This is NOT our home precious one. THAT is TRUTH! Now let's live like we believe it.

Till next time.

In Christ Alone,

Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. Jill, You are so right . . . we've moved a total of 19 times in our 44 years of marriage. Each time we seemed to have accumulated "stuff" that had to be sorted through, trashed, sold or packed. Seems like I never learned.

    I am down to far less now that we live with Andrea and Matt, but if our "stuff" was compared to most of the population of the world, we would seem so rich (and worldly?). The garages and basements of most Americans (including ours) is full of stuff we don't want to give away, but rarely use. Our garages in which we store our excess, in fact, are larger than the homes in which many people in third world countries live. God, forgive me for being so selfish.

    One of my goals this year is to share more of what I have and buy less for our own family.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts Karen. After going to Caneyville I have redoubled my efforts to get rid of "stuff". I love Flylady and she says to hold an item of your hand and see if it makes you smile. If it doesn't then it is time to bless someone else with it. Also, if we haven't used it in a solid year then we don't need it. Finally, for all those heirlooms that are treasures it has been recommended to take a picture as a way to remember it and then go ahead and bless someone else. I and my house is a work in progress :) love you Karen

      Delete