Wednesday, January 18, 2012

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!

Liar, liar, pants on fire! I must of heard that statement as a child but there is little doubt in my mind that I would have never uttered the words. You see I am terrified of fires.

My first memory of life was my sister talking to me in the middle of the night through the vent in the wall. She told me the house was on fire and that I needed to go and get a wet wash cloth. I was to take my baby sister out of the crib and put the wash cloth over her face and for me to hold her crouched under the crib till help arrived.

Since then my fear is that our house will be burning around me and I will become paralyzed with fear. Fear is a powerful motivator. My first memory of being taught about hell scared me to death. I was told that sinners would burn in hell. Considering my history you can see how that fear of fire motivated me! There was no way on God's green earth that I would want to go through a fire again. Since heaven was the only other choice I determined that I would definitely "work" hard to not go to hell.

I shared with you on Monday that there is a cosmic battle going on for our souls. Satan is the father of all lies. Hmm, maybe I should say that again precious friend. Satan is the father of all lies. The core of his being is filled to the brim with lies. Because of that battle for our souls he has to lie to us in order to keep us from truth.

Remember in Revelation 13:6 Satan has three main lies. Lies about God, lies about God's people and lies about the heavenly place. I think he has done a fine job of lying about heaven. When I would think about heaven as a child I was not really impressed with heaven but the alternative of fire was over powering. Frankly, as a child heaven sounded boring. Especially as a teenager heaven did not sound exciting. Would we just float around all day? Would we sing all day? Now to me that one was pretty cool since I have loved to sing since I was little. Again, the alternative was terrifying so I didn't mind so much being bored.

So these are the lies Satan tells. He doesn't have to convince us that heaven is not real. He just has to convince us that it will be boring! My wake-up call was on September 9, 1980. That is the day that heaven became a place that I yearned to go to. Our daughter Celeste was born and died that die. From that day on I studied heaven. It became a wonderful place where I would be with my daughter forever. There would be no more tears, my arms that ached to hold her would no longer feel empty. Heaven held all for me from that point on.

As I have grown in the faith I have come to realize that heaven will be wonderful. I am just starting to use my imagination that God gave me to envision what it will be like. What do you think heaven will be like? Are you unimpressed with the possibilities? Does hell motivate you to stay on the straight and narrow? What do you think?

Till next time.
In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment