Wednesday, January 25, 2012

In My Father's House

It is so interesting how we can read certain scriptures and remember exactly where we were when that particular verse or verses came alive for us. I remember one time going to a gals home from a congregation we were attending and sipping tea and reading scripture. We focused on three verses found in 2 Corinthians 1:3-5. Those verses have become a sort of mission statement for how I view my purpose on earth.

Similarly, I have a set of scriptures that gave me hope in the midst of great sorrow. These verses became like a rope thrown to a drowning woman. I remember sitting in the office of the funeral director when our son David died. Rich had brought his Bible and was silently reading a passage in John while the director was talking about the brochure that would be handed to every guest at the funeral. This is what Rich read aloud to us;
Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.”

John 14:1-4 (ESV) This set of verses was printed on the front of the handout for the funeral.

In my Father's house. Just rest on that one phrase with me. In my Father's house. Do you remember me telling you about the last home we owned? After getting there I was filled with such peace and was certain that I would remain there happy as a clam till I met the LORD face to face? There is a place that is being prepared for us that will make us much happier than any clam could. Come to think of it, how happy can a clam possibly be anyway? LOL

For the next few days I would like to talk about our Father's house. I want to walk into the house with you and explore all the rooms that are there. It will take some imagination on our parts but our imaginations can be helped along with scripture that we have available to us.

Some come join me as we tour this home. Bring your walking shoes because it is mighty big! Till then.

In Christ Alone,

Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment