Thursday, December 22, 2011

When God is Silent

I know, I know, this is not your typical blog post 3 days before Christmas. I was reading a blog that is a favorite of mine today and the writer asked for prayer requests. There were 73 comments asking for prayer. Some of them were gut wrenching. It was then I realized it was time to write a post about real life and real struggles.

I have always tried to be honest here and I have no intention of changing that. For those of you who are struggling this holiday season this post is for you.

Here is the question I have mulling around now for the past 6 weeks. What do you do when God is silent? What happens when it appears that God is simply not listening? Are we "allowed" to question when our prayers are bouncing off the ceiling?

It is so easy to answer very differently when everything is going well. If the biggest challenge you have is an annoying in-law then this post is probably not for you. But what if you are facing life and death issues, then what?

It is easy to look at Job and his life and know that in the end God restores his health, his wealth and even more children are given to him. That assumes you can replace children which you can't. Is it enough to just not curse God? How can you and I not just live but thrive in deep pain? How do we go on when it seems the petitions we offer bounce off the wall?

How do you watch your spouse suffer hour after hour, day after day and month after month and not be challenged by it? How does someone who has been a faithful servant of the LORD praise HIM when all he can hear is the pain?

Have we not proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that we will NEVER and I mean NEVER turn our backs on God? We will always remain faithful but can't see the lesson we are to learn? How many more days, weeks, months and years are we to endure such anguish?

God of the universe, the Alpha and the Omega, the King of King and LORD of LORDS, I can't hear you Papa. I can't hear anymore. Please Father, restore us and make us whole once again. Until then, I will be still and know that you are God.

Your faithful servant,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my sweet friend. How sorry I am that this trial is one that is so long and so heavy. There is nothing I can say that will lighten the load nor shorten its duration, but know I pray for you (and Rich) and sorrow with you.

    Words cannot express how much I wish I could help - thankfully, we have a God with whom you can be honest and who does listen even when He does not answer in the ways or times we hope.

    I don't know what His answer is, but I think Paul had similar feelings as yours . . . 2 Cor. 1:8-9 "We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters,[a] about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead."

    Love you, Jill!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no good anwers - Job 13:15: "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face."

    ReplyDelete