Thursday, December 8, 2011

Treadling the Afternoon Away

I will never forget when our daughter was only a year old. We were a very young military family without two nickles to rub together. My challenge was to be able to clothe our daughter. We didn't have money to go buy new clothes so I figured I better learn how to sew her clothes. Here was my theory, I figured our daughter could not possibly complain about a seam not being fitted perfectly at only a year old! I figured I would have conquered the sewing machine well before she was old enough to complain. So, I taught myself to sew. Our daughter now has 5 children of her own and I get to sew for them.

I was eager to learn how the ladies in Caneyville sewed clothes for their families without using electricity. Each of the ladies has a treadle with a machine sitting on top. If you can see in this picture there is a rubber loop the goes from the machine down to a wheel. The wheel is attached to a metal rocker plate that your feet go on. It was challenging at first to get the machine to go more than a couple of stitches while putting my feet on the rocker plate. It made me think of trying to rub my tummy and pat my head at the same time! It takes coordination for sure.

While I was trying my hand at treadling I was reminded of Dorcas in Acts 9. She was a disciple of Jesus and lived in Joppa. She was known for her good works and acts of charity. Her friends were standing around her body after washing it and showed Peter the clothes she had made for the poor. Here was a woman who loved God and sewed for those in need. I think of all the women today who makes quilts for preemie babies, knit and crochet blankets and hats and gloves for the needy. Each of these women are being "Dorcas". Very cool.

Tomorrow I am finishing up this series and getting back to the book of Daniel.
In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. I can remember my mother sewing for all of us on her treadle sewing machine (it was a Singer by the way). What a sweet memory your article brought to my mind! Andrea has that machine now and it still sews to perfection even though we have long since "upgraded" to an electric machine. I must say, however, if I wanted a seam with small, consistent stitches, I'd still use the treadle even though it sits in storage now.

    ReplyDelete