Friday, December 30, 2011

A Time to Look Back

Recently I came upon an old clock that was gorgeous. The price was right, (free) so I picked it up and took it home. I was so sure it would work properly that I was bowled over when it ran for about 60 seconds and then died. I have found an old clock maker who will look at it to see if it can be fixed. When I went to the man's shop I saw lots of fascinating old clocks. The insides were so intricate. I was amazed that there were lots of things inside to make the clock work properly.

Our lives are like that old clock. The guts of the clock have to all work together before it can keep time accurately. It can sure look pretty on the outside but not fulfill it's purpose (keeping time) because the inside is broken.

Do we look good on the outside yet find our inner workings are broken? This is the perfect time of year to take stock of our "innards". What things need to be changed inside ourselves for the coming year? What goals did we make last year that worked? What needs some more fine tuning?

God is our clockmaker. This is what the Psalmist says about us;
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

Psalms 139:14-16 (ESV)

This weekend we say goodbye to the old year and start fresh with a new one. Let's do a check of our "innards" and find out how we can fulfill our purpose better in 2012.

In Christ Alone,

Jill




Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. I love this analogy Miss Jill! It is so true! I find myself re-evaluating multiple times of year, but true to everyone else, especially at the beginning of the new year. It seems to be a fresh start :) Thank you for sharing. It certainly gets me thinking.... ;)

    ReplyDelete