Monday, December 5, 2011

Till the Storm Passes By

You are a precious friend for coming here time after time reading my thoughts about God's word. You might have noticed I did not write on Friday like planned. I ended up taking my husband to the emergency room first thing in the morning and we came home late Saturday afternoon.

Hubby had hoped to teach his Bible class this morning. His body had other ideas. His muscles froze in the doorway and he could not move. I ran and got Michael and our daughter to help me get him moved. It was such an emotional time for everyone. For my husband there is weariness from this trial. He has now been disabled and suffering for 2 years and 9 months. With the exception of an hour here and an hour there he has not had relief in all this time. Debilitating pain wears you down like nothing else. There comes a point where the pain is so screaming at you that you can't hear anything else.

This trial we are going through has changed each of us. There are days when I am certain God is going to heal him in a blink of an eye. This nightmare will be just a distant memory. There are days when I lose hope and think that for whatever reason God is going to allow him to continue to suffer for many more months and years. What do you do when all seems helpless?

For me, all I know to do is walk by faith because I sure can't walk by sight! Faith that in the next life I will understand God's plan. I chose not to ask why. It is like Solomon said, "a chasing after the wind" and we know how well that works out!

For the past week I have been singing an old gospel hymn called, "Till the Storm Passes By" listen to the words for a minute.

In the dark of the midnight, have I oft hid my face,
while the storm howls above me, and there's no hiding place.
Mid the crash of the thunder, precious Lord, hear my cry;
Keep me safe till the storm passes by.
Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more, till the clouds roll forever from the sky. Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of the hand. Keep me safe til the storm passes by.

I will continue to sing till the storm passes by. If you are in a terrible storm right now sweet one, won't you join me in the boat while we sing, till the storm passes by?



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

4 comments:

  1. Psalm 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, And light unto my path"

    You have helped me learn that sometimes it's one very small baby step at a time!!
    Please let me join you in the boat, in fact I think i'd like to row for YOU for awhile!! You are LOVED, Mama!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my friend, how my heart aches for you. I've not known you long, but in this short time I've come to love and admire you.

    There is nothing I can do or say that will ease this burden. All I can do is pray for a respite in this terrible ordeal . . . I say "all", but perhaps that is the "most" and by far the "best" we can do in any trial. No matter how bad or how long, praise God, we do know the storm will pass over. I look forward to that time! Please know that I pray for you and Rich many times throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, I pray for you guys all the time that you will have the strength to endure and that God brings Rich a breakthrough and that the doctors find out something that will help Rich. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete