Friday, November 18, 2011

The Sound of Music

I have listened to contemporary Christian music for years. The thought of not listening to music on my I-pod or radio seemed impossible. How would I go an entire week without it? Well let me tell you I can still surprise myself!

When I didn't have music constantly playing I could actually hear sounds I don't normally pay attention to. I could hear the bluebirds outside singing. I could hear the horse whinny and I heard the wind blow through the trees.

Our first host family sings before they eat breakfast each morning. Yep, they all stand around the table and sing a hymn or two. Well, after that morning I caught myself singing hymns I don't seem to have time to sing anymore. One of the days I walked by myself I totally enjoyed singing.

My favorite part though was on Wednesday night when we moved to our second hosts' home. We had supper (which is different then dinner, which is lunch) and then we went to "meeting." It was pitch dark when we got back to their house. We were given their upstairs to sleep so we all headed up stairs to go to bed. I crawled under the covers and started praying. The Mama of this home nurses her baby in an Amish rocking chair and sings the entire family to sleep. I laid there amazed at the peacefulness. I have to say, I have never been sung to sleep before. There is something magical about one sweet voice in the stillness of the night praising God. I felt like I was on holy ground.

After my visit to the community I have learned that noise, no matter what the source, is still noise that can clutter our brains. It's funny, I thought I would be miserable without the radio or my ipod playing my favorite songs, I was wrong. I enjoyed the silence so much that I have yet to turn on the radio when I hop in the car.

I am so thankful for the lesson I learned. Thank you Father.
In Christ Alone,
Jill




Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment