Sunday, October 9, 2011

Our Babylon

Today we are starting our next series that is more relevant to our lives in 2011 than I ever imagined. First let me say that I never intended to study the book of Daniel in depth past the first few chapters. It wasn't till our ladies Bible class at church decided to study it that I decided to jump in. I have always put Daniel and the book of Revelation in the same category. Great first couple of chapters but when it started to talk about end times I was out of there.

You see my sweet sister, I am not what you call a premillennialist or a postmillennialist but I am a panmillennialist. In other words, in my mind it will all pan out in the end! So, let's go on this journey together and see what we can learn.

Before you roll your eyes and shut me out for starting such a deep study, stay with me for a minute. For most of my adult life I have loathed "ladies Bible study books" used in ladies classes. Not because they don't have value but because to me, most seem a little on the fluffy side. I think we are smarter than we think we are, especially when it comes to really digging into God's word. So, if I am going to practice what I teach then I need to commit to studying this book. I hope you decide to join me.

The book of Daniel was written 605 B.C. It is as relevant today as it was 2,500 years ago. Jehoiakim was the king of Judah. God had warned his people over and over again that they would be taken into captivity if the continued to chose the pagan gods over Jehovah. It was God himself that gave the Israelites into the hands of the Babylonians.

Babylon is actually where the Tower of Babel was built back in Genesis 11. God had scattered the people way back then and centuries later the Babylonians are dragging God's people all the way back to the beginning. That reminds me of Satan. He wants nothing better than to drag us back to the pit we use to dwell in, before becoming a daughter of the King. This is why the book of Daniel is so timeless. SO many lessons for us.

Remember at the Tower of Babel the people rebelled against God. They wanted to come together and show God they could build a tower up to the very heavens. They wanted to make a name for themselves. Nothing is new under the sun. Everyone wants to make a name for themselves. The world calls to us over and over again that the name we have, daughter of the King is not good enough. The world wants to rename us just like the King of Babylon renamed our young men.

Would you commit to reading the first chapter today and we will will pick up there next time.
In Christ Alone,
Jill, a daughter of the King



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment