Monday, September 5, 2011

Two Families, ONE Purpose Day 2 Luke

Good morning ladies. I have been listening to the book of Luke on CD now for two weeks. Day after day I listen while I quilt, cook, iron and sew. I have wanted to see the entire book at once to learn the thinking of Luke. I am learning many new things.

The initial story of Elizabeth and Mary has always intrigued me. Here is Elizabeth, the old woman who never had a child. In today's culture there really isn't anything that unusual about a childless couple. Many chose a life without children. Back in the time of Jesus though it was a whole different story. If you were a woman who had never birthed children then you were looked upon with ridicule. Everyone around was sure you were a sinful person that God has showered wrath on. The women made fun of the poor gal without the blessing of children. All this reminds me of course of Sarah, Abraham's wife. She took matters into her own hands and got a son by her hand maiden and look how well that worked for her!

That is not the story of Elizabeth and her husband Zechariah. Luke says that "they were both righteous before God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and statues of the LORD." chapter 1:6. I would guess there was a silent resignation at some point in their lives when they realized it was too late for them to be blessed with a child. What amazes me is that both Zechariah and Elizabeth chose to lead faithful lives in spite of not being blessed. What is so cool in my thinking is that God had them exactly where he wanted them, exactly!

Who on earth would understand Mary when she says she is a virgin but with child? Who would understand when she tells someone an angel visited her but Zechariah? God's perfect timing. God uses both Elizabeth and her niece Mary to bring about his perfect plan, a Savior for the world.

I have often thought of Mary and her situation. She was probably a pretty young girl. Imagine her having the first talk with her parents. "Father and Mother, Joseph and I have not done a thing but steal a kiss or two" I am still a virgin but God's Spirit came over me and gave me a baby. That had to be such a tough conversation, don't you think? Scripture says Mary "hurried" to her Aunt Elizabeth. She had been told by the angel that Aunt Elizabeth had been visited to. What comfort she had to have received. Mary stayed 3 months. I bet there was alot of worshipping of God between the two. One old woman experiencing a miracle inside of her and one very young virgin being used by God to bring the Savior into the world.

Why did God pick these two families? I wonder if it was an easy decision for God. Were these two families just head and shoulders above the rest of the Jews in their walk with the LORD? I guess I will have to wait a while for the answer but one thing I know. God will use any situation to glorify his Son and His plan. We may not see what is up ahead but God has not forsaken us. Elizabeth understood and so did Mary.
Something to think about. More on Mary next time.
In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment