Thursday, September 1, 2011

That YOU May Know! Day 1 Luke

Luke the doctor. I am certain he looks nothing like the man on the left but it is a good visual for today. Most doctors are very analytical. They research, they ponder and they research some more. I always said that when my kids were grown and gone I would be a brain surgeon. I only have two more years left being a full time mom but I don't think God is going to call me to the profession.

Luke on the other hand was a doctor. He thought like a doctor and he wrote like a doctor. In the first 4 verses of Luke chapter 1 he gives the purpose for writing the book. He even gives great detail for how he went about gathering his information.
1. In spite of the fact that Luke was not an eyewitness, he says that he has "compiled a narrative" of things accomplished in an "orderly fashion"

2. He researched by talking with the eyewitnesses. Since he was a companion of Paul he had a great deal of time to hear the story.

3. He followed closely for some time. In other words he kept an eye out for all the details to share over a good period of time. There was not a one time greet and meet for Luke.

4. He clearly states why he is writing, so that you may know.

I just love that verse. Dr. Ray Vander Laan partnered with Dr. Dobson and Focus on the Family a few years back and produced a series of videos called "That the World May Know" that are fascinating. He is a Biblical historian and shows you the Holy Lands and shares story after story that build up our faith so that we CAN know.

Ladies, it takes real study, real prayer and real time with God's Spirit in our lives to know the hope that we have in us. This is a lifetime commitment. How can we ever share the good news if we ourselves don't know? Sunday morning just isn't going to get the job done. Never has and never will. Like Dr. Luke God wants us to truly know him and his purposes.

Let's commit to being Dr. Luke ourselves this week. Let's study and know.
God Bless and Lord willing see you tomorrow.

In Christ Alone,
Jill





Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading Luke at night (since I'm reading in the OT in the morning) and what struck me was in Luke 1:78 where Zechariah refers to the Lords "tender mercy".

    One of my favorite definitions of mercy is that of relief. That mercy is relief. Tender relief or even sweet relief....Oh my, God is soo good!

    ReplyDelete