Friday, September 9, 2011

My Father's House

There is no doubt that at the age of 12 Jesus truly knew who he was. His parents went up every single year to Jerusalem and celebrated the Feast of the Passover. It is ironic to me that each of those years his family honors the Passover when in just a few short years their son will BE the passover lamb!

When Jesus gets there he celebrates with his family. I can picture the chaos in the city during the Feast. People are everywhere. There is much commotion in the whole town. I can also picture everyone getting ready to go back Nazareth. Walking on foot in small bunches would be easy to lose a child. I can picture the conversation, "Mary was is our son Joseph?" "Oh I am sure he is playing with cousin John and the rest of the boys, he will catch up in time for supper." "Joseph honey, I can't find Jesus. I have looked everywhere and he is not in the group ahead of us or the one behind." "Mary, I think it's time to go back to Jerusalem."

Leaving children behind and losing them is NOT a "Mother of the Year" kind of thing to do! Especially if your child happens to be the God of the universe. So, Mary and Joseph trek back to the city looking for him.

I bet that was an unhappy walk back into town. They finally find him in the temple sitting with the teachers, listening and asking intelligent questions. Scripture says that "all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. Then in comes Mom and Dad. I can just hear Mary's voice saying to him, "Son (and I bet that word was emphasised ) why have you treated us so? Behold your father and I have been searching for you in great distress."

Poor Mary, her mamas heart was scarred for her son. For any one of you who have lost a child in a crowded store you know what it is to lose a child. The words that come out of his mouth are priceless.
And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?”

Luke 2:49 (ESV)

That stopped them in their tracks. In fact, this is another time that Mary treasures up all these things in her heart. Jesus knew who he was yet, scripture says he went home with his parents and submitted to them. He chose, at that very instant he made the decision. His Father's house was no longer on earth but in heaven. His life would never be the same.

Till next time

In Christ Alone,

Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment