Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Follow Me

And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” 11 And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed him. Luke 5:10-11 (ESV)

They left everything. That verse has spun round and round my head this past week, they left everything. They walked away from a huge boat load of fish, in other words their livelihoods. That would be like being a successful business person and just walking away to serve the LORD. I get the significance of that. Would I leave it all to follow Christ? It seems to me that we are willing to give up almost everything but there are a few things we would like to hold onto, thank you very much.

I have come to the conclusion that giving up everything is a daily choice we make. Like Peter, James and John it isn't just the first day of making the choice to give it all up. I imagine that in their lives there were many times they had to recommit to giving it all up to follow.

I love what Jesus tells them “Do not be afraid"

Then David said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous and do it. Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed, for the Lord God, even my God, is with you. He will not leave you or forsake you, until all the work for the service of the house of the Lord is finished. 1 Chron 28:20

I take great comfort in those words. The Holy Spirit prompts me when I am afraid to follow. Jesus never leaves us. He asks us to follow Him plain and simple. What is your answer to the question today? Think about it.

In Christ Alone,

Jill





Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment