Monday, September 26, 2011

Discipleship

Good morning sweet one. Today we find ourselves in Luke chapter 5. Luke writes about the calling of the first disciples. It fascinates me how Jesus gets people's attention.

Here are the fisherman who have fished all night, caught nothing and are taking care of their nets come morning. They are tired and probably just want to get some rest after a long and frustrating night of getting nothing. Their livelihoods depend on the getting fish and they got none.

Jesus' timing is perfect. He certainly got their attention. Simon tells Jesus that they had toiled all night but because he had asked Simon to listen and obey he complied. We are like that aren't we? We tell God why something can or can't happen and he gives us the solution but it is SO hard to obey. There have been times in my life where I know God has asked me to do something yet I argue and find every reason why I shouldn't! Nothing has changed in two thousand years.

Simon Peter's reaction is so interesting. He falls at his feet and says, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord." When we have an encounter with the Master our sins are laid bare before him. Isn't that so true in our lives. My sins are laid bare and I will never be the same again. Because of that we like Simon Peter become scared. Do you blame him? No, we would do the same thing.

There is no where to go and no where to hide where the love of Jesus can't find and rescue us. Jesus makes the same plea to us as he made to Peter. Come and follow me. Something to think about today.

In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

No comments:

Post a Comment