Sunday, August 28, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

"She dares me, and I don't even blink. Could I write a list of a thousand things I love? I read her line again. As in, begin another list? To name one thousand blessings- one thousand gifts- is that what she means? Sure, whatever." This is how the name of the very popular book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp came to be.

The cover of the book intrigued me. A young woman holding a very unique nest with two blue eggs in the center. The writing is not something I am used to. The author weaves words the same way that Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel, simply unique.

Ann writes about the day her life "closed to any notion of grace." A terrible accident that took the life of her little sister Aimee. The grief her family experiences hits so close to home for me.Her family was torn apart. Her parents were never the same. They stopped going to church and stopped seeking God's face. Her mom spent many years in a mental health hospital, unable to re-engage with life again. A friend of hers though issues a challenge. To find a thousand gifts that have already been given to her.

Ann believes that we live the Garden of Eden over and over again. She says, "Satan wanted more. More power, more glory. Satan's sin becomes the first sin of all humanity: the sin of ingratitued. Adam and Eve are, simply, painfully, ungrateful for what God gave."

I have been thinking about that I want to explore deeper some of the ramifications of the sin of ungratefulness. Join me this week. If you are interested amazon.com has the book on sale right now. It is a very good read.

In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. I wish it were in the budget but you definitely have my interest piqued so I'll look forward to hearing more about this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolene,
    I can lend you a copy if you send me your address. It would be my pleasure. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete