Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Life Lessons from a Big Earthquake~

Today has been just one of those days. I have had little to say and much to think about it. It is Gratituesday and my heart is filled with thankfulness for what God has done in my life but yet my heart is on the heavy side today.

God is so perfect in His timing. I had been sewing for hours and decided to take a break from the project and turned on Fox News for a quick update. Low and behold just minutes before an earthquake had hit Virginia so I sat and watched and then remembered.

Back in the 80’s my crew lived in California not too far from San Francisco. Hubby was in Alabama at the time so it was just me and the three kids. We were living in base housing. The boys were outside playing in the tree in the front yard. Serenity was in the bathtub and I was in the dining room. All of the sudden I started swaying back and forth. In an instant I thought I was going to pass out but then realized I was not sick but then noticed the curtains were swaying with me in the same direction. By this point I realized I was not sick and deduced that our house had a serious build up of gas and was ready to blow up. So, what does any rational mom in my situation do?

Well, this girl screamed for Serenity to jump out of the tub and run! She was such a sweet 10 year old girl who was so obedient so she jumped out of the tub and ran towards the front door, birthday suit and all. I then yelled to grab a towel (wouldn’t want to blow up without a towel). We then ran outside and got to the tree and the boys were yelling for me to stop shaking it. Out of the corner of my eye I saw our back door neighbor hugging a tree and screaming.

The thing though that really stood out was the ground. I was standing on the driveway and it was rolling just like waves. I was so startled I just kept watching the ground go up and down, up and down.

My other neighbor came running out and let us know we were in the middle of a really big earthquake. Never would I have dreamed that we would experience an earthquake but here we were, rolling asphalt shaking all I believed to the core.

Of course, that was a year I did not get Mom of the Year! My poor daughter was scarred for life. I am pretty certain she has PTSD and wouldn’t get in a tub! However, what I did learn was powerful. Until that moment I had always believed that the ground was solid in more ways than one.

What we believes is not always true. I saw the ground and assumed it would always be right where it should be and I was wrong. God is so powerful that he can take a rock solid ground and make it look like the waves in the ocean.

If the God of the universe can move the ground up and down then he can certainly hold me tight and wipe away all my tears.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Matt 11:28-30 (ESV)

In Christ Alone,

Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

2 comments:

  1. We have also lived in Southern California through earthquakes and two brush fires that burned all the way around our house. We had to run in our p.j.'s to escape the first one, it was Christmas time and we were decorating the tree and having hot chocolate, when we were called that there was a fire. The fire moved so quickly that we had to run to safety only able to grab a few clothes (thankfully no birthday suits ;). The wind was blowing at 60 miles an hour! We were really scared but I was so thankful that I had my family out safely. We didn't know for many hours if our house was standing or not, until my sister called me and told me she just saw my house on the news and it look fine. When we reached our house later, the firemen said he had been trapped in his truck when the fire surrounded him and our house! We were praying so hard, and God answered our prayers. The fire burned up to the foundation of our house, but didn't burn inside our home at all.
    The second fire was much harder! Our home was saved, but we did lose many of our crops, fruiting trees and a lot of equipment for our farm. Besides the loss we went through it was more traumatic as Joe had to stay and fight it alone. I was very afraid for him to stay as it was very dangerous, without any available firemen in the area. He managed to save our home, by staying behind! He had very quick thinking, and used our irrigation system to sprinkler our house. The fire came right to where he had set up the system. And he was also quick thinking enough to run to the well and set up a sprinkler system on the well also...it was too bad when the fire dept. came and cut down a tree on fire and dropped it on top of our well. This fire stole a lot of my peace and I had a very hard time going through it, but I became very fond of cilantro....I never liked it before the fire, but after the fire, it was the only thing that would drive away the terrible smoke smell that filled our farm! I actually went out and sat in the cilantro field :) I LOVE CILANTRO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a story. Blessings to you dear one.

    ReplyDelete