Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Devoted to Good Works Part 1

Good morning to each of you. In my last post I offered some scriptures about devotion. It is my new favorite word. Here is the scripture I would like to look at first.

Final Instructions and Greetings

12 When I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, for I have decided to spend the winter there. 13 Do your best to speed Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way; see that they lack nothing. 14 And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful. Titus 3:14

Paul wrote the book of Titus to his "true child in a common faith". This book deserves to be read all the way through in order to get the context. Paul sent Titus hither, thither and yon to strengthen congregations that had already started. This letter gives Titus instructions on how to accomplish the task.

The concept of "good works" has been given a bad rap for several centuries now. When James the brother of Jesus wrote his book he focused on the practical living out of our faith. Luther was not a huge fan on the book because he called it a "right strawey epistle". James said to "be doers of the word and not hearers only." James 1:22. Some in the religious world are afraid if we talk about good works then we are saying that the good works save us. Good works DO NOT save us, never has and never will. It is an outward reflection of our love and devotion to the One who has redeemed us.

Good works then are a command. How many times did Jesus challenge us to live out our faith by serving others? Over and over again we read that we are to do "good works" in order to glorify our Heavenly Father.

How many scriptures can YOU come up with that talk about specific good works we are asked to do? I would love to see your thoughts here on the subject.
Till next time.
In Christ Alone,
Jill



Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning Satan says, "Oh crud, she's up".

1 comment:

  1. I thank you for this posting Jill, as I did a study on good works from reading it. I wanted to share what I learned only the computer was suddenly shut off...sometimes I think that is for my benefit...to just grow and not to share at this point...I have so much to learn 35 years of knowing the Lord...and gleaning is the way the Lord is teaching me. Thank you for teaching me to do indepth studies! I needed this guidance and I am certain the Lord has given my your friendship for that very reason...May you be filled :) love and hugs :)

    ReplyDelete